Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Request for Enhancement: SonicOS xyz should allow for inheritance of our customizations

LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Let me explain.

I'm proposing this request - far-fetched though it may be - because I'm tired of hearing from CSRs that I have to factory refresh a firewall and rebuild it to ensure it works properly.

I do not want to lose my painstakingly built Address Objects and Groups, all of the Interface and Zone settings, the exceptions, and the hundreds of other nit-picky details that are required to configure a firewall for a client site.

If the OS was a base set of code and all of our changes "hovered over" that code, then it wouldn't be a hardship to fix a firewall with a refresh. None of our code would be affected. And if something was still not working, that would isolate it to either the base code or ours.

The fact that every change we make is to the base code is problematic on many levels, mainly because there is no way to re-create our code from scratch.

SonicWall, please find a way to isolate our changes from your base code, please!

Category: Water Cooler

Comments

• Options
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Not really sure you mean with hovering and base code, but a tool from Sonicwall to "wash" a configuration that you can then reload into the firewall would be useful. It's a bit pathetic that Support cannot say which specific part of a configuration causes an issue and "blow it all away and do it again" is the resolution. Having said that, it's been a long time since I had that proposed by support.

• Options
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@Arkwright - must be the CSRs I work with, but in many instances over the past year as I've migrated to Gen 7 devices, the one guaranteed statement I've heard to fix my reported problems is to flash the device. And I am NOT using the Migration Utility. I'm rebuilding from scratch in all cases.

Now this could mean I have absolutely no idea how to configure a firewall. But after 15 years as a SonicWall partner, I think I have (at the very least) the basics down.

• Options
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

15 years? You're a mere child. Give it another decade 😉