Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

How do I use a Windows DNS server with Sonicwall content filtering?

I have the content filtering setup for our guest wifi working as expected. We have our DNS set to google currently. I would like to get the content filtering setup for our internal network which has a Windows DNS server. I'm not sure how to go about that. Any suggestions? Also if I'm in the wrong category please point me to the right one.

Category: Firewall Security Services

Answers

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have it setup on the guest network it seems like you have a good grasp of how it works.

• GraceITGraceIT Newbie ✭

Thank you for your reply. I did read through that document and it does not cover my current issue. Currently my dns on the Sonicwall is going to google which is why the public wifi works. Our private network is behind a Windows DNS server that does not route through the Sonicwall's google DNS therefore it is not working.

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

What DNS you use does not affect the content filter on the Sonicwall.

Since Sonicwall's documentation is terrible here is a proper link to the CFS 4.0 overview.

Give us more to work with, a brief overview of your network, some screenshots of your CFS config, etc.

edited March 2023

That documentation is more helpful, but it still doesn't address my issue. If the DNS does not affect the content filter then why does it work for my guest wifi and not my private network behind a Windows server.

I have the guest wifi as a vlan of the private network

Actually now that I'm looking at that document. I see that there is an html block page in the Action Object. I don't get that on my guest network. When I go to an adult site I just get the typical hmmm... can't reach this page. I don't get a Sonicwall block page. But it does stop you from going to the page.