Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Content View Issue in Configuratin Mode and lots of other issues with SonicOS7 _TZ470

samajsamaj Newbie ✭
edited February 2023 in Entry Level Firewalls

Hello,

A month ago I just switched on SonicOS 7(TZ-470) from SonicOS 6(TZ-600).

Current FW:- TZ470_SonicOS 7.0.1-5065

I'm just tired of SonicOS 7 there are lots of issues

-Slow GUI response.

-Communication error keeps occurring when trying to log in with local user credentials,

-Login Page Not Redirect properly,

-Internet connectivity,

-When I'm trying to access features like monitoring and configuration it is throwing error like - This content is blocked. contact the site owner to fix the issue. (As u can see in the below screenshot)

Help me with this

Thanks & Regards

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Here's one suggestion. Please follow the Getting Started Guide when you install a Gen 7 device.

One of the first things you are supposed to do is update the firmware to the current version.

Even one month ago, that was Firmware Version 7.0.1-5095.

Suggest you update, and report back if that corrects any of the problems you are encountering.

• samajsamaj Newbie ✭

I'm sharing this here because I have never experienced such issues with SonicOS 6 in long term.

I used SonicOS6 for three years in the TZ600 firewall but never experienced such things as I'm facing in SonicOS 7 with firewall TZ470.

Seriously frustrated :(

Users every day create complaints to the System Administrator. I as a System Administrator get to hear a lot from the management of the organization as well as from users of the organization.

• samajsamaj Newbie ✭

Thanks, @Larry

I will upgrade the firmware as you suggested.

I thought it must have come with the latest one. I guess it is the responsibility of the SonicWALL installation team to deliver a new installation with the latest firmware to the customer. because the firewall is new and as I just checked it is only 15 days passed.

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

It literally doesn't matter what the complaints are, if you've just installed a firewall but haven't put up to date firmware on it then you are entitled to some share of the blame.

• samajsamaj Newbie ✭

@Larry

Hopefully, the latest firmware will solve my problems.

• samajsamaj Newbie ✭

@Arkwright

nope, I do not agree

it's only been 15 days since the new installation of the firewall, they have to give me the latest one. because I haven't done it myself their executive come and did the hardware installation, migration, and firmware installation.

If any new firmware comes after installation by their executive that's ok... it's my responsibility to update

@samaj I'm confused. You didn't install this - someone else did - and you simply maintain it.

Who, exactly, is "their executive"?

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

you simply maintain it.

So long as you don't include keeping it up to date in your definition of "maintain" 😉

I understand @samaj's frustration - why do Sonicwall [or anybody else] ship anything with bugs in? But unfortunately, that's simply the reality of modern software. Millions of lines of code, tens or hundreds of third-party libraries, no way of knowing if it works without extensive testing. In my opinion, Sonicwall's testing of Gen7 has not been as extensive as it could have been.

@Arkwright - the reason I'm asking who did the work is because of my suspicion that they may not have engaged in correct practice(s).

Not updating the firmware as a first step means someone didn't follow the new rules of a Gen 7 device. Even then, 7.0.1-5095 was released on Nov 09, 2022. It would have not taken much to have checked prior to delivery to see if anything newer was available. This "executive" did not.

We have seen many cases on this forum where people discovered that exporting the EXP file from a TZ600 and importing it into a TZ470 caused SIGNIFICANT errors. I'm concerned that may be the case here.

Through SonicWall's webinars, training, and documentation we have come to learn that going to a Gen 7 device requires us to run the EXP file through the Migration Tool (which will still result in a few errors).

Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) exist for a reason: and that's to ensure the device everyone expects to work properly does, in fact, do that.