Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Gather configuration in readable form

I posted something similar in the Firewall Security Services forum but I guess it's better placed in this one.

We have a TZ470W with some issues. I suspect there's something wrong with the configuration? So I would like to validate all settings. As far as I can tell, there's no easy way in doing that. One method is making a TSR. But as @Larry said - you'll end up with ALL settings, which is way too much to wade through. As a possibility to remedy this, I think I'll create a TSR, reset the device to factory settings, then create another TSR and compare them to spot the differences. Which probably will stil be pretty involved. So I wonder if there's a more elegant way to gather all non-standard settings of the device?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• Hello Simon! Hope you're fine.

Best way to solve issues with your firewall is to categorize them separately and do a one by one resolution. If you wish so, you can post them here on forum so we could try to help you solve them.

If you still need the configuration file, you can log into SonicWall shell interface using SSH and export configuration to another machine so you can read the configuration file.

Two tips:

1. Never (EVER!!!) import other Gen's Firewalls configuration file
    2. Never (EVER!!!) open SSH port on WAN interface

Hope I have helped.

Best regards!

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@Simon_Weel if you go the TSR comparison route, take a look at Beyond Compare from Scooter Software.