Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Network ports went dead after a reboot

Hello,

I have a NSA 2650 that I rebooted remotely today and it became unresponsive. I went to the facility where it's located and found the amber tool led flashing and the network ports on it unlit. I power cycled it and it still has the tool led blinking and unlit network ports.

The reason I rebooted it was that over the past few days I've noticed some slow VPN throughput through it at times and it hadn't been rebooted in the two years it's been installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Comments

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Hannman if I get this right, none of the network ports is working, even the MGMT port is dead? Did you tried to boot into safemode to make sure it's not a ROMpack related issue, if you can get a network port working?

If nothing helps you need to get in touch with SNWL support.

--Michael@BWC

• I experienced this issue with NSA 2600.

Maybe your 2650 damaged its firmware and entered Safe Mode automatically.

Please, try to use MGMT port to connect to 192.168.168.168 default IP address and, using a web browser, try to restore firmware.

I uploaded an old firmware version. Maybe it will work for you too.

After restoring the firewall, do the following:

1. Sequentially upgrade each firmware version until the version of your last backup
    2. Restore your latest backup available on cloud
    3. Export your firewall configuration
    4. Sequentially upgrade until the latest version available at SonicWall

Don't forget to export firewall configuration before every upgrade process and never (never!!!) restore firewall configuration from another firewall Gen. For example, never import a Gen 5 configuration file to a Gen 6.

Hope I have helped.

Best regards!

• HannmanHannman Newbie ✭

Thanks for the comments. Michael, you are correct that none of the network ports are working. I'll try the safe mode and see if a ROMpack related issue. Thanks for your help.

• HannmanHannman Newbie ✭

Actually, the MGMT port was working and when I connected to that I saw the absent or invalid firmware error. The ROMpack version is later than 6.2.5.6. I uploaded the latest firmware and booted to that and all seems to be fine now although it take several hours for a couple of the site to site VPN connections and the WANGroup VPN to start working again. The configuration was all still there. I'm a bit concerned that the firmware became "absent or invalid" somehow. I've been running Sonicwalls for 20 years and I've never seen this before. Is this common?

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Hannman I never had to deal with the absent firmware in all the years, so I guess it's not common, but known :)

You might check with SNWL support and maybe there is some information in the diagnostics log which can be downloaded from the internal settings page.

When VPN connections are not coming up by it's own, I usually tend to wait for the P1 lifetime or ask the remote side to reset.

--Michael@BWC