Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Can't seem to assign VLAN to switch

mlytermlyter Newbie ✭

Hi there,

I have a TZ-670 Firewall and an SWS14-24FPOE switch that I'm trying to connect to one another.

My understanding is that the VLANs created on the firewall could be referenced from the switch.

I was following this KB article https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/how-to-configure-trunk-and-access-ports-on-the-sonicwall-switch/200607082322630/

In the example the author shows:

Firewall Example

Port Example

I have a similar scenario - I have my VLANs set up on my firewall

But when I try to modify my port I'm missing the VLAN mode and VLAN options - I only see Portshield interface.

I'm sure there is an option that I haven't enabled, or just something in general I'm missing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Mike

Category: Switches

Answers

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried using the switch in standalone mode (i.e. NOT controlled by the firewall)?

• mlytermlyter Newbie ✭
    edited November 2022

Thank you for responding.

I just reset deleted the switch from the Firewall then reset the switch to factory.

After doing so, I connected to the switch in standalone mode. In standalone mode I'm able to add VLANs. The interface is entirely different and obviously the VLANs aren't being referenced from the Firewall.

One of the benefits of using the Sonicwall switches was the configuration via the Firewall. Am I missing something or am I going to need to configure these in standalone rather than via the Firewall?

I have one more POE switch and three 48 port non POE switches. I'd really prefer to admin/config in one location.

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the firmwares up to date on both the firewall and switch? I had little luck with this about a year ago with old firmwares and gave up for this reason. Standalone seemed to be the best way to manage them.

Open a support ticket and harass them. If its not working the way its advertised they need to be held accountable.

• I am having the exact same issue. Was there ever a solution besides utilizing the switches in stand alone mode? Seesm to defeat the whole purpose of paying the premium for the Sonicwall switches....