Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SonicWall Switches

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi,

the latest SonicOS versions are supporting some SonicWall-branded switches. I couldn't find any information about specs, features, pricing, availability etc. Any word on this?

Does the Models support NBase-T 2.5 (or 5) Gbps preferably with PoE to take full advantage of the SonicWave 400 series? The market for 2.5 and 5 Gbps switches is pretty small and with PoE IMHO non-existent. Solutions with a SFP+ modules are pretty expensive and do not support PoE.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Water Cooler

Answers

• fmadiafmadia Moderator
    Hi Michael @BWC,

Yes we will support SonicWall branded switches starting from 6.5.4.6.

In a few days you should see them available for sale with different models. Some of them are going to be PoE, others full-PoE and some non-PoE.
    We offer also SFP Ports on them to take full advantage of our SonicWaves.

Below some information:
    8/10/24/48 Port PoE/PoE+ Models
    1G copper access ports
    1G SFP and 10G SFP+ uplinks
    Firewall and Cloud management
    Zero-Touch configuration and Management from SonicOS UI
    Layer 2 Switching + Static Routing
    PoE/PoE+ (802.1af/at)

Keep an eye on our website but I will be able to tell you more next week.

Have a great day!
    Francesco
  • MasterRoshiMasterRoshi Moderator
    edited May 2020

The 24 and 48 port switches will have 10G SFP+ uplinks, the 8/10 will have 1GB SFP. It will not have 2.5/5GB NBase-T ports in these models-- that is planned for later on. We will have full POE variants in every switch class 8/24/48 so you will get 10GB uplinks with full FPOE capabilities. @BWC, you will see the pricing on the partner price list for June and if you have questions, reach out to your sales engineer/account manager. They launch June 1st by the way -- ready to ship.

• Halon5Halon5 Enthusiast ✭✭

How long can we expect to wait before we can expect the 2.5GB + higher models?

We had a bad experience with the Dell X-Series / SonicWALL support and are interested to replace them all across our customer base if there is some management advantage.

Can we trade-in the Dell X-Series ?

• The management advantages will be plenty (since SNWL controls both sides of the equation now). No ETA we can share at the moment on the multi-gig switches but they are certainly coming. You can speak to your sales team about the pricing and models.

• SolveITSolveIT Newbie ✭

I noticed that Dell is no longer offering x-Series switches; it's been removed from their site.

Are these Sonicwall switches just rebranded Dell x-Series? I guess the 10 port option indicates 'no', as they didn't have a 10 port option in the x-series lineup. Just curious.

• MasterRoshiMasterRoshi Moderator
    edited June 2020

@SolveIT These switches are unrelated to Dell X-series (outside of both being able to be managed by the FW). The underlying code/OS is created by SonicWall (it wouldn't make sense otherwise) since the main reason we added this to our portfolio is to be able to control our own destiny in terms of switching and fill the gap from an end-to-end solution perspective.

• SliderhomeSliderhome Enthusiast ✭✭

Hello.

In the new firmware v6.5.4.6-79n it states :

Switch controller > Overview.

Enable Auto-Discovery of SonicWall Switches under Network > Interfaces for SonicWall Switches to be automatically discovered.

Who knows where to find this option, I can't find the option under: network > interfaces

Best regards, Rene

• Hello @Sliderhome,

You would need to navigate to MANAGE | Network | Interfaces and click on the interface which is connected to the SonicWall switch.

You can find this option under the advanced tab for that interface.

I hope that helps!

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

Can the dell x1000 series also be managed with this option ?

Manual you can only select:

Best regards, Rene

• Hello @Sliderhome,

SonicWall uses LLDP (Link Layer Discovery Protocol) for auto-discovery of SonicWall switches. Unfortunately, we cannot use the same for Dell switches.

Here is a complete deployment guide for your reference.

I hope that helps!

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

@SHIPRASAHU93

Thanx, I have no option to change it.

The option is Grayed-out

• @Sliderhome ,

Which interface are you trying this for? Also, which firewall model are you using?

Shipra Sahu

Tz500 on the interface x0

• @Sliderhome,

I can't think of a situation where it would do that. Are you seeing this grayed out on other interfaces too?

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

@SHIPRASAHU93

I have found de solution.

x0 had a portshield from port x4.

when we removed the portshield, the option comes available

• Perfect! Thanks for letting me know. I will remember that now, for next time 😀

Shipra Sahu