Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Firewall Name for LLMNR or NetBios Resolution?

Is there a way to give the firewall a name that can be resolved on the local subnet via LLMNR or NetBios? 

(BTW, We're aware of the security concerns with those protocols. This application is a small network in a secure location with no critical resources on it.)

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

you can.assign a hostname. you can find out below screen shot

• HoppyHoppy Newbie ✭

OK. Thanks. How do I configure the ports on which this name is available? And is it available as NetBios or LLMNR, or both?

If you can't tell, I'm a SonicWall noob. Thanks for your patience.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Hoppy I don't think that the Appliance will make it's name known by LLMNR or NetBios ... but why do you need this? Why not using the DNS Proxy in the Firewall or a local DNS to do proper Name Resolution?

What DNS do your endpoints have configured, could you change them to the IP of the Firewall for example? If yes, you can create a static DNS entry which holds the Name and IP of your firewall.

--Michael@BWC

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Yes, you are right @BWC, my message include was not netbios only firewall dns name. thank you. 👍️

• HoppyHoppy Newbie ✭

Thanks for your responses.

I agree that a DNS server would be the proper way to do this. Unfortunately, it's not available in this small embedded system. We don't have DNS implemented at the system level.

By the way, we realize that the TZ-270 is overkill for this application. We're using it because it is already used on a larger, more safety-critical system (the TZ-270 is used in a different way on that system). Since this system isn't cost-sensitive, we're hoping that the SonicWall can be used here too. We would rather not validate something new. But local name resolution is one of the important features

LLMNR or NetBios discovery would be the simplest implementation (that I know of). Are there other options for local name resolution on the Sonicwall?