Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Create guest WiFi configuration

Does anyone know the process to create a guest WiFi access for NON-wireless capable firewalls? The only KB article available references "W" model firewalls.

My org has a TZ570 with a SonicWave 231C. Wireless works great. I'm trying to configure a guest network but getting stuck between creating the virtual interface / DHCP scope and the Virtual AP. I cannot get them to communicate.

TZ570

x1 = internet

x2 = internal network 1

x4 = corporate WiFi

x7 = internal network 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Category: High End Firewalls

Best Answer

Answers

• ElexwizElexwiz Newbie ✭

@MitatOnge Instructions were great and I was able to make the VAP and assign it to the WAP. The only difference is that my TZ570 does not have internal wireless. Nevertheless, I was able to link the VAP group to the SonicWave 231c. I have one more question pertaining to best practices.

Right now, I have the WAP (corp network) on x4 with IP range 192.168.10.1/24, and the guest VAP with IP range 192.168.20.1/24. Is it best practice to use multiple VAPs on a single WAP, e.g., corporate and guest, or just use a VAP for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc wireless networks?

Thank you for your time!

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

what is the sonicwave 231c controller? Cloud or Sonicwall Firewall?

if you manage with firewall you can do below steps.

X4 ınterface must be WLAN zone and enabled SonicPoint/SonicWave 32 ( How many access points do you have?)

1) Create Security profiles for SSID

2) Create VIRTUAL ACCESS POINT Objects for all SSID and assign a created Wifi Security Profile each SSID.

3) Create VAP Profile and assign Virtual ACcess Point Objects.

4) Assign to VAP profile all Access Points.

After all settings is done. reset factory default your ap and it should fetch profile settings from firwall.

I hope; this message can resolve your problem.

• ElexwizElexwiz Newbie ✭

I did all that, then lost the main (corp) WiFi SSID after I implemented the VAP. I fixed it by making the main (corp) WiFi network a VAP as well. Seems you can either run one "normal" WiFi network, or multiple virtual WiFi networks, but you cannot mix them on the same access point hardware. Yes, you solved my problem. Thank you very much!

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

I'm glad you solved it.

if you want to use multiple ssid on the SonicAP you have to create VAP but you want to 1 ssid. just you can create on the Access Point object properties and assign to manuel settings for 1 ssid.

👍️