Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

L2TP and manual configuration

when I try to connect to the vpn service the manual setup of the client side gets ignored and I receive a DHCP address

Category: VPN Client

Best Answers

Answers

• marcdeblanckmarcdeblanck Newbie ✭

nope, the vpn connection works but I need to be able to connect to the client, so it has to get the same ip address on the vpn every time

now it gets a random ip from the l2tp connection even when i set the client to use a fixed ip

• shiprasahu93shiprasahu93 Moderator
    edited May 2020

We cannot assign static DHCP entries to L2TP clients as we can with GVC clients. If you have just a single L2TP client, you can reduce the L2TP IP Pool to that specific IP and you should always get that IP address on the client. Otherwise, SonicWall will assign one of the IP addresses from the L2TP IP Pool.

I would also like to add that the L2TP VPN is for remote access from client side to remote resources on the firewall. The connectivity on the other way around may not always work. It is more of an unidirectional connection.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @MARCDEBLANCK,

Unfortunately, the static assignment of IP address to the L2TP client is not available. The technical reason behind this is, "the L2TP VPN adapter on the client PC will not produce a Physical / Ethernet / MAC address which can be then mapped to a desired IP address on the SonicWall appliance".

With GVC, this requirement can be achieved due to the fact that GVC adapter contains a MAC address when GVC software is installed. In the SonicWall, we can map the IP address along with corresponding MAC address and the desired IP can be leased out to the VPN user. So, typically both L2TP VPN and SSL VPN doesnt support this static IP usage for now because of the above technical reason.

The below KB article can give you an overview of how the static IP is mapped to a MAC in case of GVC users.

Hope the reason behind the scene helps.

Have a good one!!!

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services