Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SonicOS 7 Shutdown?

I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but is there a way to gracefully shot down a firewall on OS 7 (TZ470) or do you just (gasp) pull the plug? I've looked all through the interface and on the web, but can't find anything.

Russ

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@RussF yes indeed, there is no such thing like a shutdown. Can't tell for NSv but metal Appliances can be safely turned off.

--Michael

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

You would think - after decades of development, extensive quality assurance tests, use cases at historic levels and across almost every vertical - that the concept of a power switch would be useful in a network appliance; but then, you would be wrong... LoL!

• RussFRussF Newbie ✭
    edited January 2022

Thank you both. I guess that speaks to the robustness of the system. Since that is a functional OS that records data in logs, etc., you would think that there would be, at the very least, a soft shutdown command whether there is a physical power switch or not.

Since I've started at this company (we currently have a TZ400 that we are upgrading to a TZ470), I have never actually intentionally powered down the 400! I have restarted it after an update (there is a soft button for that), but never powered down. I've converted the config from the 400 to the 470 and have been testing it - all seems well. I am getting ready to actually make the switch and didn't just want to pull the plug. I guess I can! Cheers,

Russ