Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Can a GVC VPN be tested from behind the firewall?

Can a policy be setup to mimic being on the outside of the firewall and test the VPN access?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• TippersTippers Newbie ✭

I'm not sure if the same applies to GVC, but with Netextender you can specify the IP of the firewall from other interfaces (such as X0) and connect from inside that network.

• prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited November 2021

Hi @rohded , this can be done by creating a LAN-WAN rule to the X1 IP for any and with Enable Management on the rule, this is presuming that the X1 interface is your WAN and you are coming from the LAN

the only problem is unless you set in the WAN Group VPN the Virtual Adapter settings to None under the Client/Client Network Settings it won't complete the connection, as you are already on the LAN and have an IP in that subnet so the DHCP won't work.

• rohdedrohded Newbie ✭

Hi Preston, Sounds like you know what I need.

Do you have more details?

• prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
  • rohdedrohded Newbie ✭

Preston, That is amazing. I am able to connect now.

Next small issue. I have it setup to access one server. 192.186.1.22. It can't ping that server but can access everything else?

Is something set backwards?

Thanks for getting me on right track.

Doug

• RussFRussF Newbie ✭

I typically test our VPN using a cell phone disconnected from wifi and set up as a mobile hotspot. Connect a laptop to the hotspot and you have real-world vs. simulated access for testing. I use the same setup for on-call support when I'm away from my home PC.

Russ