Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Setting up DNS on SonicWALL with Static Endpoints

Hello all,

I have my SonicWALL Configured with the primary and secondary DNS Servers set to a company that filters my DNS requests to see if they're malicious and the third DNS is googles DNS Server. I'm currently in the process of moving a portion of my DHCP Scope to static instead of DHCP. Basically the first 100 addresses are static and everything after is DHCP. For the stating endpoints I'm setting up the static addresses and when I get to the DNS section I'm not for sure to point to my gateway (The SonicWALL) or if I need to manually enter the DNS Servers. If I point to the SonicWALL Gateway will it take its DNS settings from it, or does this have to be configured manually since I'm setting these endpoints up with static addresses?

Thanks!

Category: Entry Level Firewalls
Tagged:

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    shiprasahu93shiprasahu93 Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @Twizz728,

The SonicWall itself is not a DNS server but can act as a DNS proxy if configured for it. I would suggest adding the actual DNS servers on these endpoints if you are setting them with static addresses.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services