Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Can someone tell me how to get my 500v to use the new serial number and license I registered?

So I was using a free trial of 500v to test it out. It works great for what we need so we bought it.

They sent me a new activation code and serial number. I registered them on mysonicwall.com

I followed the directions that they sent. i went to https://x.x.x.x/cgi-bin/diag reset my license. Tried to reactivate it with the new serial like they claim and it tells me No, I can only use the old trial licenses because it's registered to that. I google and I find https://www.sonicwall.com/support/technical-documentation/docs/sma_100-10-2-getting_started_esxi/Content/sma-gsg-using-the-30-day-trial-converting-free.htm/ . Alright cool I log in to mysonicwall account and try to deregister like it says there. Only option I have is delete for the license not deregister. if I delete the license I'll lose access to it correct? is that the same as deregistering? and if I delete it will it let me register the device with the other license?

I also have asked support about this but I haven't gotten a response and I'm a sonicwall newbie.

Category: Secure Mobile Access Appliances
Tagged:

Answers

• prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited September 2021

@Sdrago305 follow the below

1: ) back up the config (just to be safe)

2: ) you need to register the new serial number in your mysonicwall account

3: ) change you view to Classic view on the SMA appliance

4 : ) /diag in the URL like below

5: ) on your mysonicWall account delete the original Trial instance/appliance (make sure you select the trial one not the new one you have just registered)

6: ) on the SMA appliance go to Licences and put in the new serial number and auth code of the new appliance

7: ) your new appliance will now be registered with the new serial number

N.B, create a backup again make sure you remove any back afterwards with old serial number in the filename.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@preston did you tried this recently? It's the 2nd time it isn't working as expected to convert a trial to full. Reseting the license makes the Appliance unresponsive for a while, I deleted the Trial license on MSW. All on 10.2.1.10 but a while back it was the same situation on an older version.

When the Appliance is responsive again I'am able to enter the MSW credentials on the License Page, but nothing happens, after a while the Trial license reappears on MSW, no way to enter the new Serial number. The Appliance is running again with the Trial.

I already opened a Ticket with Customer support, but they take their time to respond.

Is there any magic spell I need to cast?

--Michael@BWC

I spend a good amount of time (again) with Customer and Technical Support, there was no way to reset the trust enough to make the Appliance believe it needs to be registered again and asking for the new Retail Serial number.

Long story short, converting Trial to Full is still a mess and ends as often in repeploying the Appliance.

--Michael@BWC

• Thomas_BuergisThomas_Buergis Enthusiast ✭✭

Yes, that is unfortunately true. It didn't work for me, and I had to redeploy the virtual appliance.

• prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭

@BWC , Hi , make sure you don't give it the same friendly name as the one you were using for a trial in mysonicWall, I noticed this caused an issue last time I was trying to register

@preston that's interessting, I'll keep this in mind. Trial and Retail has different names on MSW, the appliance just don't allow to assign a new serial number, even the trust is revoked and license information reset.

In the meantime we redeployed the qcow2 (KVM) and assigned the Full license, but the curse is still active, because after a reboot of the configured appliance the webserver isn't starting any longer. But this will be addressed next week, I'am done with SMA for today.

--Michael@BWC