Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

LDAP and Windows Server 2019

I have a TZ300W firewall with the latest firmware installed.

I am trying to setup LDAP connection to a Windows Server2019 DC on port 389. When I test the connection I get a Sonicwall Error."LDAP Communication Error".

In the Windows Server Security Event Log there is an error "Unknown User name or Password".

I tried different users that are members of the "Domain Admins" Group and no dice.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ren_Hoek

Try to use distinguished name instead of login name.

For example; accounts@abcd.local

• prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭

Hi @Ren_Hoek , you don't need the .local bit entering just the netbios domain name, so if it business.local you just enter business\administrator etc.. you only need the .local on the main LDAP server entry and on the directory settings page.

as @Ajishlal mentioned you can choose distinguished name and use either the mail format or domain\user

• Ren_HoekRen_Hoek Newbie ✭

Preston, Ajishlal

I tired both suggestions and both didn't work.

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

I always use DistinguisedName which can be found in AD Users & Computers and looks like "CN=Administrator, CN=Users, DC=Contoso, DC=com".

You should create an account strictly for Sonicwall LDAP queries, otherwise you'll lose LDAP authentication if (when) someone changes a domain admin account.