Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Newly Configured X3 Interface Won't Work!

Hi There,

I'm fairly unexperienced with Sonicwall firewalls. Yes, I've RTFM'd manual. I'm using a TZ300.

What has been working for years is I have X0 as inside LAN, X1 as outside, X2 and WLAN, and X3 and X4 were unused. I went last week and configured a new network on X3 and it doesn't work! I don't know what i did wrong. I created a DHCP scope for that interface as well and it doesn't work. Obviously if X3 is down DHCP won't work. I've tried directly connecting to X3 with my laptop and still won't ping. I've tried use a switch in between my laptop and X3 and it also doesn't work. What am I missing?

I appreciate any suggestions or hints. I just purchased 3 more TZ300s so I need to figure this out ASAP.

Please see screenshots for current status.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• NerdBNerdB Newbie ✭

Ok experts, I still need help, but I think I discovered something about the SonicWall. It appears that there is a config for how X0-X4 behave. I found something in the "Quick Configuration" Guide for 6.5.

It says there is an initial ports assignment that must be done related to PortShield. I'm not sure how that relates. However, my simple goal is to have each X0-X4 be a different network. X1 is always outside, X2 is set for WLAN, so that leaves X3 and X4. I need to know which settings to use so that each are their own subnet network. I have a feeling my new network 172.20.7.1/27 (or /24) didn't work because X3 is somehow expecting to connect to the X1 gateway or something like that. My expectation in configuring the X3 interface is that X3 becomes a default route and gateway for the 172.20.7.0/27(or /24) network.

Any ideas based on this information? Here is a screenshot of the options from the guide:

Bryan