Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Any success installing Net Extender on Raspberry Pi 4?

xtianxtian Newbie ✭

I just picked up a Raspberry Pi 4 to turn into basically a terminal for my remote work computer running Windows 10.

I followed the instructions from here for Linux Install to install the 32-bit version of Net Extender.

I also installed OpenJDK and pptpd

java -version

openjdk version "11.0.11" 2021-04-20

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.11+19-post-Raspbian-1deb10u1)

OpenJDK Server VM build 11.0.11+19-post-Raspbian-1deb10u1, mixed mode)

Any tips?

Category: VPN Client

Best Answers

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I've never had luck with the GUI on linux (Debian 10). I use the CLI if/when I need to use it (which is rare).

• CORRECT ANSWER
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

./install: line 298: /usr/sbin/netExtender: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

You are trying to run the x86 NetExtender binary on an ARM CPU and that won't work[*]. Given that they don't even do a Windows ARM version, then hoping for a Linux ARM version is probably an even longer shot!

*It might work with some extra software layer? Never tried it. You won't be the first person wanting to run x86 binaries on ARM so perhaps there is something out there.

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SimonSimon Moderator
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓

Best I can tell there is a Netextender on Windows ARM under development.  I don't have any information on availability.

On the SMA 1000 product line, Connect Tunnel client, we currently support ARM on both Windows and Macintosh (Apple M chips).  

The driver for Windows ARM support was Microsoft Surface PRO systems on ARM.

Mobile Connect has supported on ARM almost since inception, for Android originally. Since this is only distributed via Android or Apple APP stores, it may be easier to run a Windows Netextender version under emulation software. 

I am not aware of any requirement to provide either Netextender or Connect Tunnel for ARM processors in Linux.  If we had a customer request, with Sonicwall sales supporting the Request for Enhancement (RFE), it is a future possibility.

Answers

• xtianxtian Newbie ✭
    edited July 2021

LOL. Can't edit OP after 15..

Here is the installation of netextender:

--- SonicWALL NetExtender 10.2.826 Installer [...]

Set pppd to run as root [y/N]? y

[...]

Copying files...[...]

./install: line 298: /usr/sbin/netExtender: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

------------------------ INSTALLATION SUCCESSFUL -----------------------

Unfortunately, the GUI won't start

pi@raspberrypi:~/Machine_rpi4/netExtenderClient $ netExtenderGui

2021-07-10 11:21:45 EDT INFO com.sonicwall.NetExtender Logging initialized.

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT INFO com.sonicwall.NetExtender NetExtender version 10.2.826

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl Could not load libNetExtender.so

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl Contents of java.library.path:

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl  /usr/java/packages/lib

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl  /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/jni

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl  /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl  /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl  /usr/lib/jni

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl  /lib

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl  /usr/lib

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl Exiting NetExtender.

2021-07-10 11:21:46 EDT SEVERE com.sonicwall.NetExtenderControl 

There was a problem loading the NetExtender JNI library.

Please reinstall NetExtender, and make sure you have a compatible version of Java installed. SonicWall recommends Sun Java 1.4 or higher.

• xtianxtian Newbie ✭
    edited July 2021

Thank you for the explanation of the error. I'm a networking and hardware noob, so this is all new to me. I only just discovered what I'm looking to create is called a 'thin client' for RDP to Windows.

Once I started searching for 'thin client' I found other peeps using RPi4s as an inexpensive and sufficient solution. Setting up the RPis has been very simple so far, and if I'm going to start from zero and have to support these little boxes, I'd like to do it in Linux.

I work at a small firm and we're all Windows and currently using Net Extender. It was a no brainer to try to install NetExtender, since the office staff is already familiar with that software. I have need to build 3-4 of these solutions, so not a big deal--I could get away with several surplus machines off ebay, too. Just the RPi is a great product and I'd like to support them.

I will investigate the CLI as recommended by TKWITS and from the Linux/RPi side.

Thanks for your answers

• MJParkMJPark Newbie ✭

Hi I'm also trying to set up remote connection to Windows PC from my Raspberry Pi 3.

I also ran into the same problem of launching Sonicwall NetExtender through GUI: bash: /usr/sbin/netExtender: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error. Did you have any luck solving this? Please share with me if you have any suggestions,

Thanks!