Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

DHCP of wan does not work.

My product is TZ500 and NSa4650 and HA.

WAN is DHCP.

HA has failed over.

When secondary TZ or NSa is active, WAN IP is 0.0.0.0

WAN DHCP does not work in HA.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @JKJUNG,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

While the IP address is 0.0.0.0 on the active unit after failover, could you please check the IP address on the standby unit for WAN interface? Does it also show 0.0.0.0? What is the firmware on your TZ 500 and NSa 4650? Is this issue common to both the models of the SonicWalls TZ 500 and NSa 4650?

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

Answers

• jkjungjkjung Newbie

The wan ip of the standby unit is also 0.0.0.0

The firmware is 6.5.4.7-83n.

Yes, it happens in common with all models.

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @JKJUNG,

Let me check for possible reported issues and get back to you. Please standby. Appreciate your patience.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Hi @JKJUNG,

Thanks for your patience. I verified internally and seems like there are no similar issues found.

Could you please upgrade firmware on one of the HA pairs to 6.5.4.8-89n and check for the same issue?

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

• edited June 2021

Hi @jkjung,

We had the same issue on a customer site with an 670 on most current firmware, the customer had a WAN Network that consisted of only one IP so the modem denied the secondary FW the IP based on some ARP Entries, we had the ISP to reconfigure it to a Static IP to avoid that issue.

On an additional note, it also happend on one of our 2700 but it simply took another IP from the WAN Network

My conclusio is to avoid WAN DHCP whenever possible.

BR,

Bernhard

Hi @BERNHARD_WINTER,

We can avoid ARP issues between Primary and Secondary FW's by enabling Virtual MAC on the HA settings. The Virtual MAC is applicable to all interfaces.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

• XChangingITXChangingIT Newbie ✭
    This exact issue happened to me a few months ago and I worked with SonicWALL tech support and he blamed it on the ISP. for me It happens with optonline DHCP only, and with TZ300 and TZ500 models at multiple locations.