Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

How to hard reset TZ 270 without GUI

Okay, a month ago I managed to import a TZ 300 config into a TZ 270 with minor snags, but now I've done it again iwth a different 300/270 pair and got burned. Apparently it switches to the new IP the moment its imported, so the remainder of the config doesn't make it (get error on GUI), but if you reboot it's got the new IP but cannot log in with HTTP or HTTPS, though responds to ping to new IP. Me thinks I should have set the 270's IP ahead of time to what it would be after the import, but too late now. How to I factory reset this thing? I've managed to never ever need to do that with a Sonicwall as best I can recall. The reset button causes it to come up in maintenance mode and ask for a maintence key (what's that), so no idea how to proceed, No luck finding docs that describe this. It shouldn't be this hard.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• xdmfanboyxdmfanboy Newbie ✭

If there's a command to do it from the CLI that would be good too. Not finding that either. Way too many admin guides for Gen 7 - crazy!

Okay, figured out how to restore default from CLI, except I notice when I reboot from there its telling me of possible filesystem corruption because the unmount was not done properly, and when I get the login at the default 192.168.168.168 I get hit with a red pop-up Network Error for [get] to [/webfront/api/host]. Oh joy. If I click past that and try to log in I get another similar red pop-up error that refers to something about /webfront/api/authenticateUser?format=json

Grrr. Not digging Gen 7 at all.

• SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Best to reset to factory defaults and start over. Maintenance key is a new thing in Gen7 devices, you can find it on MySonicwall under the device details. So start up in safe mode and do a factory reset.

If you are importing settings from the CLI, you can do them in batches and commit/restart in between. Certain settings cause the appliance to reboot without warning so importing the whole thing in one go usually doesn't work and something is left out.

Importing via GUI usually works for me in one transaction, it imports and reboots and everything should be there except primary admin password and TLS certificates.

edited March 2021

Argh! Even though I registered it as part of a Secure Upgrade, it doesn't show under My Products until late this afternoon so I could finally get the key. I had to reinstall the same firmware it came with to eliminate the corruption warnings. I pre-set the X0 IP ahead of time before the import but still got stuck where I can no longer get in the GUI. Tried to import the config from the CLI, but there seems to be no way to use the command without specifying the host name for the FTP server, and I have no local DNS server, nor do I know a way to plug a host entry into it. Grrrr,

• Newbie24Newbie24 Newbie ✭

So Im having a similar issue where I am able to get into safe mode and boot from factory setting but the it just takes me back to the log in requesting the Maintenance key. I have taken it out of safe mode to see what happens but i get to the log in screen and get a no response when trying to log in