Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SMA500v esxi with TZ appliance - Best deploy

Hi

i have work with TZ and SMa appliance: use TZ DMZ zone for connect SMA appliance.

But with 500v image, what'is the best deploy?

I my farm run:

• one TZ570 for cloud services to customer.
  • one ESXI 7.01 server

i prefer connect SMA virtual interface to TZ and not directly to provider wan. It's correct?

What is best deploy?

Very thank's

Category: Secure Mobile Access Appliances

Best Answers

• CORRECT ANSWER
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Gentia

you could either use a dedicated interface on the TZ for the DMZ (or a new SMA zone which I prefer) or via VirtualInterface. Connect it to your switch and the VM Interface should just point into the same VLAN. It's pretty straight forward. I would go with a DHCP on the TZ for NetExtender/MobileConnect.

You should never put the SMA in front of your firewall for sure.

--Michael@BWC

• CORRECT ANSWER
    shiprasahu93shiprasahu93 Moderator
    Answer ✓

@Gentia,

I have usually seen customers go with the first option. Since all security checks are done on TZ, two separate interfaces are not really necessary.

But, even if you choose to configure two, it should be possible.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

Answers

• @Gentia ,

Welcome to SonicWall community.
    Please do through the following KB article.

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/typical-deployment-of-sma-sra-appliance/170502718544728/

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

• GentiaGentia Newbie ✭

for my sma appliance it's ok, i use tz and SMA on DMZ zone

Well, is best:

1 routing with SMA (web access -> TZ wan -> TZ DMZ -> x1 SMA -> x0 SMA -> destination zone for routing

use SMA x1 to connect on TZ interface (zone dmz or custom) - vlan dedicated

use SMA x0 to connect on vmware nic for access to server - vlan dedicated

2 routing with TZ (web access -> TZ wan -> TZ DMZ -> x0 (or x1?) SMA -> TZ DMZ -> destination zone for routing)

use only SMA x0 (or x1?) for to connect on TZ interface (zone DMZ or custom):

Thank's

• @Gentia,

As we have X0 as LAN and X1 as WAN in TZ devices, it is not dedicated in that manner on SMA. So, you can choose which interface should go to the TZ and which should go to the server.
    It should function either way.
    If you have any additional queries, please let us know.
    Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

• GentiaGentia Newbie ✭

it's clearly, but the question is for interfaces on virtual SMA500v (for TZ it's ok):

i must use only X0 on SMA500v (for receipt external access and for route to destination (vmware server) - EXACTLY with example for SMA appliance https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/typical-deployment-of-sma-sra-appliance/170502718544728/

OR

best i use two SMA500v interface; one for receive web request access (ex. X1 on SMA500v) and one for routing to server (ex. x0 on SMA500v)

thank's

• GentiaGentia Newbie ✭

Thank'you very muche and good work!

Cris

• Glad to help!

Shipra Sahu