Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

NSA 4600

Hi All

Apologies if this is a daft question, I'm pretty new to Sonicwall firewalls. My current employer has a pair of NSA 4600 in HA configuration.

We're only currently using half of the physical interfaces, and I am looking to utilise more of them, but was told by a colleague that this requires additional licenses. If any configuration is added it's wiped off after a short period of time and not retained.

Firstly is this correct? I tried to google but came up short, secondly, if it is correct can anyone advise on the license required to enable all the physical interfaces? Unfortunately the supplier we use to purchase this sort of stuff doesn't have a clue.

Cheers

Rich

Category: Firewall Management and Analytics

Answers

• Hey @Rich,

In general, all interfaces are available to use and do not require additional licensing. You mention "If any configuration is added it's wiped off after a short period of time and not retained." This sounds like you may be configuring the stand alone HA device. After a period of time it will re-sync with the primary at which point it will indeed wipe away any configuration.

If I've missed the mark and this is not the case with you, can you provide the steps that you take to configure the interface before it is wiped out?

Thanks!

CC @KaranM

@micah - SonicWall's Self-Service Sr. Manager

• KaranMKaranM Administrator

Hello @Rich

I agree with @Micah , there should not be a need of purchasing additional licenses for basic interface configuration. However, if you can brief us out about the steps and type of configuration that you are seeing this issue with, we will be in a better position to help you out. I would also suggest you go through https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/what-is-a-stateful-high-availability/170727092429120/. this tells about how Stateful High Availability provides improved failover performances.

Thank You

Knowledge Management Senior Analyst at SonicWall.

• RichRich Newbie ✭

Thanks @Micah and @KaranM I really appreciate the advice.

I guess it's possible the config was done on the standby unit, but I thought that errored when you tried to make changes to it. I'll give it a test and report back.

Are there any limits on the number of VLAN's on interfaces at all either license wise of just hardware limitations?

I need to find the technical documentation for this device and give it a good read!

Cheers

Rich

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @RICH,

according to the datasheet of the NSA 4600, the limit is 256 virtual interfaces.

Technical documentation can be found here: https://www.sonicwall.com/support.

You should check the High Availability Status of the appliances to get sure they are in sync.

--Michael@BWC

• KaranMKaranM Administrator

Thanks @BWC ,

Yes 256 is the number of VLAN supported by NSA 4600.

@Rich hope this helps you.

Thanks You

Knowledge Management Senior Analyst at SonicWall.