Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Drop Code: 95(Access Rule Policy not found)

dojjandojjan Newbie ✭
edited December 2020 in High End Firewalls

Hey!

I'm wondering if anyone ever heard of this drop code? I've not stumbled into it before now.

I can not find any information regarding this drop code.

I'm having issues with certain clients behind an IPSEC tunnel reaching servers in a local zone in a supermassive 9200.

When the client ping the server, I can see the traffic being consumed and then forwarded out of the correct interface.

I can see the server reply, but the sonicwall drops the packet with Drop Code: 95(Access Rule Policy not found).

*This is NOT the implicit deny rule.

*The initial traffic is allowed, and forwarded, but the reply is dropped which it should not be, since its stateful.

*The client is behind an IPSEC.

*The server is behind a local interface/zone.

Cheers!

Category: High End Firewalls

Answers

• Hello @dojjan ,

You're right, this is a stateful firewall and hence the reply should be also allowed. If you don't mind, could you please share a screenshot of the packet capture that you've taken for this?

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• dojjandojjan Newbie ✭

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.

I sure can.

These are ICMP requests, and the replies (red).

• Good day,

I am wondering if there has been any resolution to this case as I am experiencing the same issue with one of my site-to-site vpn connections. It stopped working on the 19th of January and I see the same issue when performing packet captures.

Packet comments

in:X9*(interface),out:--,DROPPED, Drop Code: 95(Access Rule Policy not found), Module Id: 25(network), (Ref.Id: _6063_txGsIboemfJqQlu),5:5)

[Expert Info (Comment/Comment): in:X9*(interface),out:--,DROPPED, Drop Code: 95(Access Rule Policy not found), Module Id: 25(network), (Ref.Id: _6063_txGsIboemfJqQlu),5:5) ]

[in:X9*(interface),out:--,DROPPED, Drop Code: 95(Access Rule Policy not found), Module Id: 25(network), (Ref.Id: _6063_txGsIboemfJqQlu),5:5) ]

[Severity level: Comment]

[Group: Comment]

Frame 385: 68 bytes on wire (544 bits), 68 bytes captured (544 bits) on interface unknown, id 0

Ethernet II, Src: Dell_68:01:48 (14:18:77:68:01:48), Dst: Sonicwal_85:ae:7d (c0:ea:e4:85:ae:7d)

Internet Protocol Version 4, Src: 172.19.56.198, Dst: 53.202.69.17

Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 80, Dst Port: 13633, Seq: 0, Ack: 1, Len: 0

Source Port: 80

Destination Port: 13633

[Stream index: 1]

[TCP Segment Len: 0]

Sequence number: 0   (relative sequence number)

Sequence number (raw): 3406660696

[Next sequence number: 1   (relative sequence number)]

Acknowledgment number: 1   (relative ack number)

Acknowledgment number (raw): 970971558

1000 .... = Header Length: 32 bytes (8)

Flags: 0x012 (SYN, ACK)

000. .... .... = Reserved: Not set

...0 .... .... = Nonce: Not set

.... 0... .... = Congestion Window Reduced (CWR): Not set

.... .0.. .... = ECN-Echo: Not set

.... ..0. .... = Urgent: Not set

.... ...1 .... = Acknowledgment: Set

.... .... 0... = Push: Not set

.... .... .0.. = Reset: Not set

.... .... ..1. = Syn: Set

[Expert Info (Chat/Sequence): Connection establish acknowledge (SYN+ACK): server port 80]

[Connection establish acknowledge (SYN+ACK): server port 80]

[Severity level: Chat]

[Group: Sequence]

.... .... ...0 = Fin: Not set

[TCP Flags: ·······A··S·]

Window size value: 8192

[Calculated window size: 8192]

Checksum: 0x56ce [unverified]

[Checksum Status: Unverified]

Urgent pointer: 0

Options: (12 bytes), Maximum segment size, No-Operation (NOP), Window scale, No-Operation (NOP), No-Operation (NOP), SACK permitted

[SEQ/ACK analysis]

[This is an ACK to the segment in frame: 384]

[Timestamps]

VSS Monitoring Ethernet trailer, Source Port: 8224

• dojjandojjan Newbie ✭

Hey!

If I answer from my side (I'm the TS). The issue did not get resolved, the TAC just told me to upgrade, which I could not do at that moment. So we worked around it.

We did not however try to reboot or do a HA failover. Since this, atleast for us, happened out of the blue, maybe a reboot would solve something. But it's a long shot.

Is your tunnel a route based or policy based VPN if I may ask?

• Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, the tunnel is based on the VPN (auto added access rules) Policy

client to VPN rule:

vpn to client rule:

• dojjandojjan Newbie ✭

How does your tunnel config look like? What I'm after here is, if you do have a policy based VPN. Are all your address objects in the correct zone?

• I have the remote client ip addresses in VPN Zone and I have local client addresses in a separate zone

• @WCG_Admin,

I am seeing this is as a reported issue on an older firmware 6.2.x and should be addressed on the latest release 6.5.4.7. What firmware do you have on the firewall?

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

• dojjandojjan Newbie ✭

I could not see any issue resolved in 6.5.4.7 in regarding to this in the release notes. Whats the issue id?

• @dojjan,

Not all issue IDs are listed on the release notes. The issue ID is 189173, and it was reported on 6.2 versions.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

• 6.5.1.3.11, I will upgrade to 6.5.4.7 and let you know if it makes any difference, thanks.

• dojjandojjan Newbie ✭

Have you tried a reboot yet? I too was around 6.5.1.3, but was unable tro try reboot without upgrading.

• I upgraded to 6.5.4.7 and initially it made no difference to the vpn as I got the same errors in packet capture. I had to remove the vpn and re-create it for the Access Rules to start working.

The problem now is that I have duplicate access rules for the vpn because it seems that the rules associated with the previous vpn were not removed when I removed the VPN.

How do I remove those stale rules now seeing that they are auto created when the vpn is configured?

• Great, thank you very much... I have managed to remove the stale firewall rules now and the vpn is working as expected.

• Thanks for confirming. I'm glad it's all working as expected. Have a great day ahead!

Shipra Sahu

• dojjandojjan Newbie ✭

Some of our services affected by this got resolved by a reboot of the HA cluster.

I can not confirm the other services that got broken because they are still in a work around.

But my gut tells me they will work too if we revert.