Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Passing VPN details

TalleyrandTalleyrand Newbie ✭
edited September 2020 in Mid Range Firewalls

Hi,

Is there any way to "fudge" a VPN connection over an ADSL setup , where the IP address is dynamic?

Please don't say DDNS, because most ISP in Asia block this service or block the packets used to resolve the service.

Is there any way to pass the current port configurations between a group of firewalls, say. by using a "fixed" ip address with very low bandwidth , to recover the "dynamic ip". then use that to build inter firewall VPN's using just the dynamic connections?

or perhaps using a signalling address which would be static, to grab the dynamic ip addresses at the other end, tehn use an internal config to get it up that way?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• Hello @Talleyrand,

If both the peers have dynamic WAN addresses, then DDNS would be the only way out. But, if one side has static address then aggressive mode of VPN can be used to build the VPN tunnel.

What is the case for you?

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• Yep.. but the problem is "some" countries aggressively block "DDNS"

Been there done that.....

it's so "aggressive" that , the licensing & cloud backups won't work....

I'd thought about writing my own DDNS system, but sadly the sonicwall is "pre-fixed" to a set number of systems.....

if it were editable for the "callout" FQDN to be re-configurable.....

but utilized "DYN" format.. then the system would be wide open for modification.......

since then i could point the "FQDN" to my own DNS server, and pick up the quiries & reconfig info from that re-direction.....

• Hello @Talleyrand,

I just checked a little bit more on my end and found an existing RFE for adding 'Custom DDNS Settings for 3rd party DDNS providers'. The ID for the same is 2277.

You can reach out to your Sales representative and have your request added to this. This will help us to prioritize the requests better and help us drive this quicker.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• You mean like faster than 2014 & 2016..........

when I initially asked....

oh and .. and 2020..

before this gets actioned... i''l be retired or hopefully off your kit

that and the other "RFE" (bugs) that need fixing.....