Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Is it possible to use a Network Monitor to monitor a TCP port over a VPN?

SonicOS 6.5x

Trying to set up Network Monitor in Site A to check a TCP port in Site B over the IPSEC VPN. Haven't been able to make the packets traverse the VPN yet.

Has anyone done this and can give me some pointers?

Thanks

Category: Entry Level Firewalls
Tagged:

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Timo that's an interessting question and I did some testing on my TZ 400 (6.5.4.7) for you.

When doing a Probe Type Ping or TCP I cannot see any traffic initiated from the Firewall to the remote side. But when selecting the Probe Types ending with Explicit Route I'am able to do the Network Monitor by setting the Local IP Address to X0 IP and the Outbound Interface to the VPN Tunnel Interface.

This will not work with Site to Site Tunnels though, because there is no Interface to select. Maybe this can be accomplished by creating a VPN Tunnel Interface (Network -> Interfaces) for that VPN Policy, but that's nothing I can test right now.

--Michae@BWC

Answers

• TimoTimo Newbie ✭

Thank you.

The NSA 4650 has a limit for tunnel interfaces, and we have a few hundred VPNs, so we use site-to-site VPNs. We'll discuss the possibility of converting it to a tunnel interface for this one VPN, thanks!