Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Problem with access point recognition

ARM1ARM1 Newbie ✭

We have a TZ300W as the primary firewall for our network. The sonicwall is fed directly from a comcast cable modem, then travels through 2) 24 port managed switches to other areas of our operation. From this comcast cable modem, the is a secondary wireless router that is used for non-business related data communications. I have had success installing N300 Trendnet access point devices on the secondary wireless router but the sonicwall does not send an ip address to wireless users using the n300. I set the n300 to acquire an ip using both static and dhcp settings and was able to successfully connect to the internet through the secondary router to the comcast cable modem. I was not successful in trying the same with the sonicwall. Where should I look next?

Category: MySonicWall

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Youve failed to tell us many things, including into which device you are plugging in the Trendnet APs when trying to use them on the sonicwall.

Are you just trying to use the APs on the LAN, not in a separate zone or VLAN? Do you have DHCP server running on the LAN?

Plug your APs in to the switch, verify they receive an IP address from your DHCP server, then try connecting to the SSID being broadcast...

Answers

• ARM1ARM1 Newbie ✭

The working AP: Comcast cable modem---->Netgear R6120(as DHCP server)---->Netgear GS308 switch---->TrendNet300 set to AP, Set to Dynamic ip, Wireless Mode: 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n mixed mode, Security Mode: WPA-PSK, WPA Mode: WPA or WPA2, Cipher Type: TKIP and AES. SSID is broadcast and connects to internet.

The non-working AP: Comcast cable modem---->Sonicwall TZ300 (as DHCP server)---->Netgear 24 port managed switch---->Netgear GS308 switch---->TrendNet300 set to AP, Set to Dynamic ip, Wireless Mode: 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n mixed mode, Security Mode: WPA-PSK, WPA Mode: WPA or WPA2, Cipher Type: TKIP and AES. SSID is broadcast and connects to internet.