Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Access rules

In my experience the most restrictive usually applies but it appears sonicwall is a bit different. We have several rules on our appliance to allow traffic here and there but also one that denies all so I'm curious how these are processed?

Category: High End Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @DJHURT1,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

The rules are assigned with priority that can be changed. Lower the priority higher the preference. The rules are applied in their respective priority order.

Hence in WAN to LAN, the default rule any, any, any, deny would be placed at the last priority if there are other resources to be allowed for accesses.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

Answers

• djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭

@Saravanan

In our setup, There is the above mentioned rule but there is also a rule with Wan to Lan that allows any to X4 Ip(our WAN). This rule is higher priority so doesn't in cancel out the deny rule above entirely since both are saying "Any"?

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @DJHURT1,

The access rule Any, X4 IP, Any, Allow has priority 50 and the default deny rule Any, Any, Any, Deny has a priority of 53. In this case like I said on my previous comment, the custom rule Any, X4 IP, Any, Allow would take more precedence than the default rule Any, Any, Any, Deny. In SonicWall, the hierarchy followed is lower the priority higher the preference. The rules are executed in their respective priority order.

Please let me know if any questions. I'm glad to clarify.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services