Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Apple Airplay drops out

Hi All,

I have a strange issue where Airplay from any device works for 15 - 20 mins and then drops. Most times we are able to relink to airplay immediatley for another 15 mins before it drops out other times it just says Airplay failed. I have a mix of SonicPoints and SonicWaves and SonicWALL switches and HPE switches, I have tried turning off App control to no improvement.

Category: SonicWave

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @GREG_SMITH,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Do you see any violation logs on the SonicWall during the issue time? We should check for the logs and packet captures to dig into the issue deep and to rectify it. We'll need to understand on what ports the Airplay device work and perform the log checking on the SonicWall with the packet capture.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you seen the above? Ran into this a few years ago and it ended up being the 5GHz wifi channel was overlapping with the one Apple's devices use for P2P Airplay.

Oh the joys of Apple...

• Did you determine the cause / resolution?

• MacDaemonMacDaemon Newbie ✭

I have been investigating this issue for the last few weeks with 6.5x firmware and have observed that the "TCP Connection Inactivity Timeout " in the appropriate IPv4 firewall rule affects the drop out. This will occur when crossing VLANs or using Firewall deployed Sonicwall access points.

I understand there is no resolution at this time.

As a workaround for this undocumented feature, I am considering using firewall rule(s) for airplay device(s) or Airplay device groups that extend the TCP timeout to 8 hrs or so. The hope is that by limiting the scope I won't create too much TCP clutter.