Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

What is the different between SSL vpn client and Global VPN client

Hi,

I need to know what is the different between SSL and Global vpn client. I know the SSL vpn client use SSL and Global vpn client use IPSec. I need to know more?

1.)Is there any security difference? If yes what is the most secure?

2.)what are the other different?

3.)What is the best for suggest customer? and reason.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answers

Answers

• ChojinChojin Enthusiast ✭✭

Hey TKWITS,

that sounds interesting. Could you explain this a little further. I was testing SSL VPN and what I dont like about it that our users could install and use it on their private Devices, what I want to avoid. With GVC I am using a password secured .rfc file which only I import to the GVC on the users profile and company laptop-

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chojin

I am talking about using a public CA SSL certificate in place of the built-in SSL cert for SSLVPN and in place of the pre-shared key for GVPN. These types of configurations are required when going for PCI, or other, compliance.

SSLVPN: requires maintaining the certificate on the Sonicwall device only; client-side does not require maintenance

GVPN: requires maintaining the certificate on the Sonicwall device and the client-side device. I'm sure there are ways to automate certificate maintenance of the client-side devices, but I have not spent much time on it.

As far as restricting what device SSLVPN clients are installed on... that is another topic.

• Hi!

Thank you guys for the question and the answers! Helpful!

I would like to add another question on the GlobalVPN Client versus SSL VPN. Does either of these services provide 2FA Authentication? I found the sonicwall built-in SSL VPN 2FA. How about GVPN?

Thank you in advance!!

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

GVPN requires a third party 2FA solution. Web searches are your friend.

• Okay thank you