Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Incremental Redundancy

We are moving apps & file shares to the cloud & need redundancy within a budget. We use a TZ400 with one WAN circuit. First step is to add a second ISP and we are close on that. Assume no hardware budget for now so initial redundancy will be WAN circuit only. Once we have the second WAN circuit in place and I configure it in the TZ-400, what are my options regarding how to use that second circuit? Can it be active and traffic go out both connections? Active/Standby?

Then presumably after the second circuit is in place the next step is to get a second firewall and configure that for redundancy. Can those circuits both be active, or would it be active/standby?

Thank you!

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    shiprasahu93shiprasahu93 Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Hello @MikeInThe901,

You can choose to perform WAN load balancing techniques to utilise both the ISP circuits. You can also do that with static routing.

I think you're planning to use an additional firewall for hardware availability. You can use WAN load balancing techniques while using an HA pair as well.

I hope that helps!
    Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

Answers

• Thank you, Shiprashhu93.

So the firewall can be configured for load balancing, and if one WAN circuit fails then we'd see a drop in throughput but all the traffic would simply route through the circuit that was still up and running?

• Yes, that right. If one the circuits fail during WAN load balancing, it performs basic failover. So all traffic will go through the one that's still up.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services