Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Security Services Settings question

LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Under Manage - Security Services - Base Setup, the default Security Services Setting is "Maximum Security (Recommended)." The alternative is "Performance Optimized."

A client is complaining of slow internet speeds that they claim are affecting VOIP calls.

I'd be willing to change the default value if I knew, for certain, what additional exposure I'm setting them up for.

Anyone from SW want to weigh in on this?

Thanks!

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Hi @LARRY,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

The only difference between the options Maximum Security (Recommended) and Performance Optimized is, Maximum Security lets firewall to scrutinize all contents and this can be of high/medium/low security level.

Whereas, Performance Optimized lets firewall to inspect all content with a high or medium threat probability. We may need to consider the option performance optimized security setting for bandwidth or CPU intensive gateway deployment scenarios.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@Saravanan while I appreciate the response, it is - almost verbatim - what's on the available help panel.

A browser speed test reflects a huge jump when taken off Maximum, which leads me to believe that there's some serious scanning done.

I was looking for more specific information as to what, exactly at that "lower level," was being let through the pipe.

And why, only after installing 83n, this has recently become an issue for my client's TZ500 site.

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd have to review the GAV/AS, IPS, etc. categories for what is classified as 'low'. IPS especially is sensitive considering it flags echo replies (pings). Don't forget to add exceptions to security services, espcially voice traffic! Clients do not always understand the compromise of security / functionality / speed.