Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

VLAN clarification

Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong location for this question. I am new to networking and wanted to clarify that configuring VLANs in Sonicwall can still allow traffic from one VLAN to another. Is this correct? For example, I want to configure a VLAN for a developer group since they need admin access on their PCs but protect the rest of the network in the event they accidentally fall victim to malware. This group still needs to access resources on the LAN.

Can I do this and if so, can someone point me in the right direction for documentation describing the steps to do so?

Thanks,

Roger

Category: Mid Range Firewalls
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @R20,

For your above scenario, I would recommend to create custom zone for the developer PC's network. and enable the all security services such as CFS,GAV & IPS. then create a proper ACL in between LAN to new Zone and vice versa.

Zone-based security is a powerful and flexible method of managing both internal and external network segments, allowing the administrator to separate and protect critical internal network resources from unapproved access or attack.

NB: Deny the default any any rules from LAN to New Zone & Vice versa. Then create your own custom rules as per your requirements.

• R20R20 Newbie ✭

Hello Ajishlal,

Thank you. To confirm, setting up a custom zone as you indicate would work to effectively isolate malware\ ransomware that affected a PC on a developer PC from traversing to the LAN and infecting other systems. Is this correct? The developer PCs could access the rest of the LAN to access other servers but would be isolated in the event of a malware attach on their PCs. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Roger

• I hope you are well @R20. Did any of these answers help? If so, please consider marking "Yes" next to the best answer so that the community benefits by this interaction.

Kind Regards,

@micah - SonicWall's Self-Service Sr. Manager