Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

GMS 8.7 - Saved settings stopped

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi,

did anyone experienced the problem wihtin GMS 8.7 that the automatic backup of Firewall Appliance settings suddenly stopped working.

Is there a solution without having the Support involved? GMS is already restarted, logs doesn't show any obvious. Latest hotfixes are installed as well.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Firewall Management and Analytics

Best Answer

Answers

• Halon5Halon5 Enthusiast ✭✭

Hi @BWC

Last time the backups stopped working in our GMS 8.7 installation we noticed that the Installation drive had blown its space.

It took ages to get anyone to fix it and that just kept going around in circles.

We rebuilt it all (and we also started using the flow server which failed a while back).

Trying to make it it work has just been an ongoing nightmare.

We are building a 9.2 GMS in the next couple of days and moving all our firewalls to it. At least the new user interface looks a bit nicer. We are just building it as a 250GB applaince this time and the whole thing on Optane storage to get around the lousy performance problems with the code(it always does massive and unncesssary lookups for almost everything).

The rewrite I am told is due in August but it has been slipping for years now.

I have a list of complaints as long as my arm. We have been raising DTS's for years.

Best, Steph.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

well, sounds not very compelling but I guess we will go the 9.2 path as well in the hopes that it is working more smoothly than 8.x.

--Michael@BWC

Hey @BWC ,

Hold out until I can see if this flies. Looks like there are some issues with it blowing up the DB.

I'll post here if we have some success.

Best, Steph.

• BrianBrian SonicWall Employee

Another tip that may help with this issue is to increase memory allocation for the update manager service. See following KB to accomplish this:

Hi @BWC ,

We are finally moving the last of our compliment to 9.2.

Can't say I'm completely happy with it but it presents somewhat better. - No Flash crap to deal with at least.

The artwork is a lot better. Some lipstick there.

Best, Steph.

• Poorni_5Poorni_5 SonicWall Employee

Hi @BWC ,

As Karan mentioned prefs backup issue is a known one and we have our engineering team working on it. If you have not upgraded to 9.2 yet then we have a work around on 8.7 which is successful on many customer's cases. But that definitely involves tech support. If you want to apply that, then please open a tech Support case and one of our engineers will assist you on that.

Thanks & Regards,

Poornima.T.R