Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

2.5G/5G multi-gigabit interfaces

I connected a pair of 4650's in an HA configuration. For the data port, I chose one of the 1/2.5/5G ports. I believe it was port 20. The ports are connected with a 10G copper SFP+ DAC but the SonicWALL's show a 1G connection. I am not finding much information for compatibility with multi-gigabit ports. The 10G DAC works great in port 24 or 25 and connects at 10G. I tried a 10G SFP+ fiber transceiver pair and it shows 1G also.

Question is, are the 1/2.5/5G ports really multi-gigabit capable or is the fact it's an HA data link limiting the connection speed?

Category: High End Firewalls

Answers

• Hi @NOBODYSPECIAL,

Welcome to SonicWall Community.

Yes, the NSa 4650 accommodates two x 10-GbE SFP+, four x 2.5-GbE SFP, four x 2.5-GbE and sixteen x 1-GbE interfaces respectively. My possible suggestions to you are,

• Ensure the firewall runs on 6.5.4.x series of firmware.
    • Do you see a link status of more than 1 GB when you remove the interface from HA data link?
    • Please check if you are using the supported SFP modules.

Try these steps to narrow down the issue.

Let us know how it goes. Have a good one!!!

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• Thanks for the reply. That link to the supported SFP modules makes no mention of any 2.5 or 5G compatible SFP modules. This is the reason for the question here. I've asked support this question also but was not given any data on any compatible 2.5 or 5G modules either.

• Hi @nobodyspecial,

I'll have this checked with my resources and revert back. Please stay tuned. Thanks for your patience.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

• I did some investigation. The faceplate labeling indicates ports 16-22 are all 1G/2.5G ports. In reality, only the copper ports 18 and 19 are 2.5G capable. The copper ports 16 and 17 refuse to connect at 2.5G and the SFP slots 20-23 support 1G only.

After reviewing SFP and SFP+ specs, there are only 1G and 10G transceiver and copper DAC options. Best I can figure, there is no such thing as a 2.5 or 5G SFP/SFP+ transceiver and 2.5G and 5G multi-gigabit is limited to copper only.

Ultimately, I believe what led me here was the misleading labeling on the faceplate as well as unclear documentation about specifically which ports support multi-gigabit operation.

• Hi @NOBODYSPECIAL,

Thanks for your efforts and time in finding answer. This discussion would definitely help people about the confusion around 2.5Gb port usage. We'll have this presented as a KB containing precise information with further more details.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services