Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Is there a way to do a L2 VPN between Sonicwalls?

As I was setting up some equipment for a client I was planning creating a L2 VPN tunnel to their network so I could easily set everything up remotely before going on site to swap out equipment.

I have done this quite a bit with other manufacturers equipment (Cisco, Mikrotik, etc) without issue but I was never able to find a way to do this between 2 TZ's.

I contacted support and they indicated that Sonicwalls did not have this capability. I was shocked and reached out to our SW rep and he did some looking and found the same thing and suggested I post here.

This would be the first time that I have found something that the Sonicwall could not do better than most.

I must be missing something or SW uses different terminology or something.

For clarity other manufaturers call this EoIP or L2VPN but its a non-routed VPN that connects 2 networks transparently using a vpn tunnel.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Richard

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Hello @Corners,

Yes, you are right. SonicWall does not support EoIP or L2VPN between two SonicWall devices. We can set up IPSec VPNs between two sites, also set this in route mode.

But, unfortunately EoIP between two sites will not be possible.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @Corners

I prefer to run one or more Mikrotiks behind the SonicWall, gives me incredible flexibility. Doing GRE routing to public clouds, EoIP to customers (if needed) etc. - you just need to make sure that the needed tunnel protocol is NATed to the ROS device.

SNWL und Mikrotik play along very well, always love it.

--Michael@BWC

• CornersCorners Newbie ✭

Shipra,

Thanks for the suggestion but becasue that is a routed connection it can not occupy the same subnet. That is non optimal.

This is really something that SonicWall should have.

BWC, thanks for the suggestion but it would be nice not to have to have the extra equipment.

Thanks,

--Richard

Hi @Corners,

without the "Tik" I don't see a way to do it natively with the SNWL all by itself.

--Michael@BWC

• @Corners,

Yes, I agree with Michael@BWC. The only other thing I can suggest is raising an RFE (Request for feature enhancement) through Sales. I do not see any RFE in place at the moment for this feature. If possible, it can be added to the upcoming firmwares.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• SliderhomeSliderhome Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited September 2020

Hope Sonicwall will add EoIP.

I now have a Sonicwall and a Mikrotik behind it to add a EOIP tunnel :(.

Hi @Sliderhome

with SonicOS 7 based on linux there would be chance, but I wouldn't bet on it. Depending on the scenario I'am more than happy to have my Mikrotiks behind the SonicWall, knowing that it just works.

--Michael@BWC

Just fyi, I did pass a RFE through to our partner sales rep channel in 2000 and never heard anything. Would still love this feature.

Another year goes by and still not a peep.... Just thought I would update everyone.