Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Licence transfer process

Hi

I'm just about to transfer the software licences from an old unit to its replacement that i'm installing in a couple of days time. My question is, how quickly does the transfer happen, and more importantly, is there any grace period where the licences will work on both the old and new device, or is transferring the licences the last thing to do before installing?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answer

Answers

• SriSri Moderator

Hello @amcoll_77

Thank you for reaching out SonicWall Communities.

I will quickly have a Customer Support Expert reach out to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Thanks and Regards,

Sridevi G

Global Service Account Manager,Premier Services

• amcoll_77amcoll_77 Newbie ✭

Thanks for the info, unfortunately, those links take me to a Salesforce page that needs a login. However, the explanation makes sense, so thank you

• CamiloCamilo Newbie ✭

I am in the same process, and I ask myself the following question ... once the licenses have been transferred to the new model, can the old equipment be used as a common firewall or is it unusable?

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @Camilo

if you're talking about Secure Upgrade (replacing old with new unit) than you should just register the new appliance first and transfer at a later point in time, this give you time to migrate. There is an option for doing it in a 2-step process. Not sure about the time frame, it will be showed in the the process, 30 days+ if I remember correctly.

--Michael@BWC

• CamiloCamilo Newbie ✭
    edited August 2020

Hi @Michael

I have already registered and transferred the licenses to my new device. With that I have not had problems.

But sorry to throw away the old gear, so I was wondering if they wouldn't serve at least as a common router.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @Camilo

when the appliance is registered and the services already transferred you cannot bind any services on the old appliance any longer.

Technically the old appliance will work as a router but I guess this is against the term and conditions of the Secure Upgrade.

--Michael@BWC

• CamiloCamilo Newbie ✭

thanks @BWC I will review the terms, I did not think of that. It's a shame to leave him as he steps on papers