Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Deactivation of contemporary mode

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi,

I did not found an option to completely disable the contemporary mode on SMA 100-series, I guess a feature request to have this optional would be great?

Besides the intrusive optics of the new mode (design) there a few shortcomings for which I currently don't have the time to jump through the support-hoops:

• Portal banner Title not interpreted as HTML anymore
  • Portal logo upscaled to bigger size, looks really bad
  • Disabled Show Downloads not respected
  • Disabled Show Options not respected
  • Disabled Show Help not respected
  • Layout glitches between different browsers
  • Not selectable on the login page, on classic I can switch to contemporary but not the other way around
  • Sort order of Domains selectbox on the login page not alphabetically

Nothing major, but the classic interface is just working more smoothly.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Secure Mobile Access Appliances

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @BWC ,

Apologies for the delay, I just got this information from a SMA expert. There currently is no way to disable contemporary mode, but you can provide links directly to the classic mode UI (/cgi-bin/welcome). If you downgrade to 9.x it will default to classic.

Hope this helps.

• Halon5Halon5 Enthusiast ✭✭

@Chris , can we please see DTS's for the issues @BWC has raised ?

We are also seeing these problems.

• We cannot disable contemporary mode completely, but you can use classic mode.

You can work with Sonicwall sales to file and RFE with toggle options to enable /disable modes.

Vijay Kumar KV

Enterprise Tech Support Consultant | SME

• we're coming with better usability for contemporary mode, you can use classic mode as well.

if any issues with Classic mode open a ticket will take a look

Vijay Kumar KV

• @BWC we're are coming up with stable UI with Contemporary mode in upcoming versions.

Try CSC Reporting tool and give feedback if any issues or new features if you're looking ...we can add it in upcoming CSC reporting tool.

Vijay Kumar KV

• LeeOLeeO Newbie ✭

Sorry if I'm jumping in here but we're also having issues with Contemporary Mode on our SMA-500V.

Along with the list of issues BWC has raised above:

• Its leaking information to end users (classic mode doesn't) - example bookmark IP addresses/Hostnames.
    • "Help" goes to Sonicwall online help not our custom help URL (correct in Classic)
    • Internet Explorer (yes unsupported but you can't tell end users enough and it partially works) - List mode doesn't display any bookmarks but table mode does.
    • User top right Drop down list is occasionally blank so cannot logout.
    • In list mode you can't simply click the line - you have to go to the end and find the lightening
    • We have tried to force users to the Classic URL (/cgi-bin/welcome) but if a user clicks Contemporary it seems to sets a cookie and that becomes default.

I asked if there could be a checkbox feature to set mode (Classic or Contemporary) per portal (or even as BWC suggested disable Contemporary per portal)

I did raise a support case ref: 43223473 but that seemed to get confused / ignored by the tech with version 9 / 10.

i.e. Suggested downgrade to v9 but that's not supported for Hyper-V only for VMware ESXi.