Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

How to make TZ470 connect faster to the internet?

SonicWall TZ470 takes around 1 min to connect to internet, it takes this long after an ethernet cable is plugged in. What settings can I try to make it faster?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• MarkDMarkD Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

you need to provide more information,

the WAN side?

are you using static or dynamic IP,

PPoE, WWAN ?

is it a a client that gets plugged in?

how are you determining "a long time" are you relying on windows network location awareness

is there any client authentication.

• HKIHKI Newbie ✭
    edited July 12

After plugging in an ethernet cable on the WAN side, on the LAN side detects connection only after 1 min (I am using python3 to create a websocket connection). The system is not using static IP. From observing the status in interfaces I think DHCP is taking 1 min to assign IP address.

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

The logs are timestamped, so watch them whilst connecting a cable. There will be events for link up and address acquired.

• MarkDMarkD Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

The DHCP - on the WAN side or your machine internally , is it authenticating and running PPPoE or just DHCP on the WAN

You can run a debug on the specific WAN interface (X1 usually) and view the timings.

• MariuszMariusz Newbie ✭

Or maybe Failover or LB is enabled using another, inactive WAN interface. Testing WAN activity takes quite a long time.

• HKIHKI Newbie ✭

No just the DHCP on the WAN side takes 1 min to assign IP address, it is not running PPPoE.

The LAN side has static IP.

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

A minute to acquire a DHCP lease is excessive. Start by doing a packet capture on that interface, filter to just DHCP and see what is happening.