Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

VLAN Configuration on Tz Series

Hello All,

I have configured the following VLAN with NativeBridge to X0.

Everything is working fine. Tagged traffic and Untagged traffic all work. However, I don't understand how SonicWall decides what traffic is sent tagged vs untagged.

There is very limited documentation on NativeBridge for subinterfaces. Is this a valid configuration or may be hiddden issues?

Thank you.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    MS500MS500 Newbie ✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you so much for you responses. This is all I wanted to know. I found more straightforward ways to configure it.

Cheers.

Answers

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20

About how things know what is tagged / untagged: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1Q

As far as NativeBridge, what are you trying to accomplish with this? If you just want a routed VLAN interface theres no need to use 'NativeBridge'.

• MS500MS500 Newbie ✭

Thank you for your replay. What I needed was to have both Tagged and Untagged traffic on the same subnet and on the same physical port. If I don't use "NativeBridge" my other choices are:

1. Static IP Mode
    2. Transparent IP Mode (Spice L3 Subnet)
    3. Tap Mode (1-Port Tap)
    4. IP unnumbered

If I select #1, I cannot use the same IP Subnet as the physical port.

What do you suggest?

Cheers.

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

I don't understand how SonicWall decides what traffic is sent tagged vs untagged

Yeah, me either. Which traffic are you expecting to be tagged and untagged when it's configured like this? The Connection Monitor view will show source/dest interfaces so you can investigate this question there, or with a packet capture.

If everything is fine, then great! But maybe back up a little and explain what you are trying to achieve. Having the same network be both tagged and untagged on the same interface is, to say the least, unorthodox.