Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Convince me I'm not making a mistake going to Capture Client and the new MDR service

LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

I am currently using SentinelOne through an MSSP, which has a fully staffed 24x7 SOC. The MSSP just issued a 10% price increase, so my unit cost is almost $10 per month. They are talking about soon requiring an annual contract, with minimum unit/price requirements.

My new partner channel rep has suggested that via the SecureFirst Service Provider program, I can get Capture Client Premier plus the new MDR service (Solutions Granted SOC) for less than $10, along with monthly payments through distribution, no annual commitment, and no contract. The downside is I would have to implement Capture Client for both SonicWall managed and non-managed clients.

I am concerned with how long it will take me to establish my tenants, policies, rules and exclusions in the CC console.

But the very last thing I want to do is implement another SW solution that is not road-ready (or half-baked), which causes frequent (or infrequent) problems for my clients, and consumes huge amounts of my time to try to get fixed.

For anyone currently using this offering, what's your take: Stay away or jump on board?

Category: Capture Client
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    CORRECT ANSWER
    SmashSmash Newbie ✭
    Answer ✓

After our 3-year license expires at the end of this year, I will be running FAR away from the capture client product. The amount of management overhead and issues directly relating to the Sonicwall integration of the S1 piece is extremely frustrating and has needed extraordinary amounts of management and troubleshooting. You don't get direct access to the S1 tenant, which makes things like setting users for API keys, etc. cumbersome with having to reach out to Sonicwall support to do it for you. We've had several issues with device control that are set to be "fixed" with the next release in April. I'm waiting on feedback on how they're integrating with the endpoint firewall control piece that S1 offers still. I love Sentinelone and have used it in my prior MSP experience. We saw the good deal and a better way of deploying certificates for DPI SSL and went for it when I started as a 1 person IT shop, however the amount of management overhead and crappy integration has ended up costing more in manpower. In the 3 years we've had it, I have not seen much movement in adding features or improving stability between the products.

Answers

• Options
    MichaelCreanMichaelCrean SonicWall Employee

Good morning Larry and thank you for this post. Sorry to hear about your journey with your current provider and S1 price increase. I am the former CEO of Solutions Granted and now EVP of MSS here at SonicWALL. I have some better news for you when it comes to S1. We are capable of providing you MDR for S1 today and the price is more friendly than what you are hearing. We can also migrate your current S1 which will require no changes other than billing and a lower rate :) Please email me and I will get you in touch with the right team member to assist

mcrean@sonicwall.com

• Options
    edited February 20

@MichaelCrean that was an unexpected, but pretty thirsty response.

In 2020 and 2021 I devoted incalculable hours to try to come to grips with SonicWall's NSM offering. The expenditure of those countless hours soured me on the product altogether. Finally, in 2024, NSM is approaching a more solid offering and maybe by 2026 (if the release notes continue on their almost monthly pace) I would re-consider suggesting to my client base.

My primary concern is that Capture Client in 2024 is as "broken" as NSM was back in 2020/2021. In other words, it is a product I can't trust for a very long time because uptake, budget, and whatever goes on in the background at SW, is preventing things from being fixed. I've been a Sonicwall fan-boy for a very long time; however, I simply refuse to go through that kind of horror once again.

So if you have a valid, fully functional offering now, feel free to DM me and let me know who to contact. Otherwise, I'll wait for a few more years.

• Options
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Less than $10 / month / device is half of what were being charged for being the reseller of a different MSSP. Makes me wonder whats different from Sonicwalls offering.

• Options

In the six weeks since I originally posted, I learned my MSSP will be offering Heimdal's MXDR solution for one dollar more than SentinelOne. This product contains a dozen additional features that match over vendor offerings. The primary distinction is the ability to use one pane of glass (sound familiar?) to manage DNS filtering, Application Control, UAC management, and lots more. I will not consider using Capture Client.