Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

DHCP Pools not being assigned exclusive to their intended subnet

Hello, I’m new to Sonicwalls so this may be a dumb question…. We have a Sonicwall NSA 2700 running firmware version 7.0. This is our firewall and also being used as a DHCP server for multiple subnets. Wireless subnet being 192.168.20.x/24 and ethernet subnet being 192.168.100.x/24. Both ranges have their own DHCP pool on our Sonicwall. The issue I’m experiencing is that sometimes people are connecting over ethernet and managing to pull a .20 address and we do not want this.

In efforts to narrow down where the problem may be, I’ve found that both subnets are assigned to the same “Zone” in the Sonicwall (LAN). This Zone is also configured for:

·        Allow Interface Trust

·        Auto-generate Access Rules to allow traffic between zones of the same trust level

·        Auto-generate Access Rules to allow traffic between zones with lower trust level

·        Auto-generate Access Rules to allow traffic between zones with higher trust level

·        Auto-generate Access Rules to deny traffic between zones with higher trust level

Could these auto-generating of rules be the cause of our problem? Or by being in the same zone even though they are separate subnets?

Thanks for any input!

-Matt

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Options
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

This is nothing to do with Zone configuration or access rules. This is going to be something more fundamental, like, you have the different L2 networks connected to each other somehow, so clients can end up with IPs in the wrong network.

Are you seeing these client leases in the Sonicwall? ie, are you sure it's actually the Sonicwall serving the wrong IPs?