Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Can I use a TZ470 as a secondary DNS server in a Windows domain?

Simon_WeelSimon_Weel Enthusiast ✭✭

I'm about to retire an old server running Windows 2008 R2. This machine acts as a secondary DNS server for the domain. While technically I don't need two DNS servers, it is good practice to have a fall back in case the primary DNS server (i.e. the Domain Controller) fails. My first thought is to use the TZ470 as a replacement, so I did some searching on how to configure it as a secondary / slave DNS server. While there's a lot info about configuring DNS, I haven't found anything about using it as a secondary DNS server. Or maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. Anyway, is this possible and if yes, how to configure things?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    CORRECT ANSWER
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Simon_Weel DNS on the Firewall is just a resolver (proxy) not an authoritative DNS, therefore it cannot be used as a slave.

--Michael@BWC

Answers

• Options
    IT_BrianIT_Brian Newbie ✭

Not entirely what you asked, but if you are using AD you'd want at least 2 DCs, and each would have DNS role so my money is on DNS settings point to DC1 and DC2.