Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

GEN7-26633 VoIP Issue Detail Request

Can someone please provide more detail on this 'Resolved Issue' documented in the 7.1.1 release notes?

The description in the notes reads: "Inbound audio for both incoming and outgoing calls is unavailable when SIP UDP

frames are above certain size."

What is the 'certain size'?

Trying to determine if this is the source of some 1-way audio issues we have been seeing with clients.

Thank you,

David

p.s. please don't respond with 'just install 7.1.1 and see if the issue goes away'. As much as I'd love to do that, we need more information first.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Options
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks for reaching out. I've pinged a few folks to gain clarity on this fix.

• Options
    TonyATonyA SonicWall Employee

Hi @dslee

The failure occurs with a SIP UDP frame when the frame size is above certain value (7XX bytes). Hope this helps!

• Options
    dsleedslee Newbie ✭

Hi @TonyA

Definitely exceeding that frame size. Is this an intermittent problem with the 7.0.1 firmware?

• Options
    TonyATonyA SonicWall Employee

Hi @dslee I believe in any instance where the frame size is above that value, you would see this issue.

• Options
    KMBITKMBIT Newbie ✭

This raises two questions for me... where would the frame size for UDP Traffic be defined? I would expect it be defined by the VoIP hardware but I am not sure.

and the second question is: Under What situation/configuration does this happen?

I have dozens of SonicWalls deployed running 7.0.x with VoIP being used. Is this only if you are using SIP Transformation on the SonicWall?

• Options
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

where would the frame size for UDP Traffic be defined?

It isn't defined as such, it's determined by the payload. If you use some noisy application that adds lots of X-something headers to the packets then they will be bigger. The general advice if you have SIP packets getting near to the MTU would be to switch to SIP/TCP as it handles fragmentation better [but not really sure why that would be].

This 7xx bytes thing is a Sonicwall-specific issue.