Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

IETF RADIUS Dictionary Attack Vulnerability

A third party has scanned our network for vulnerabilities recently. This popped up on the first scan. This is one vulnerability that I thought I took care of but it showed up again on the second scan. We've disabled management on WAN port. I've port scanned the WAN IP and nothing responds on port 1812 for me. There is one default access rule

Here is the a pic of the report

It states port 1812/udp but again I can't get a response on that port in port scan. One idea was to set the from field in access rule to a random address. Any other thoughts on why the sonicwall is responding and how to eliminate it?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• Options
    djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭

I did find a default NAT rule which I believe is likely the cause of this however why was this rule auto added? We never used RADIUS. Is this a standard out of the box thing?

• Options
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@djhurt1 the comment text bubble does not give a hint?

I can only find auto generated Radius rules when SonicPoints are involved. Are you using the SonicWall Switches? There was a Radius section in there, but I can't test this.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
    edited December 2023

@BWC

No sonicwall switch on this firewall. I should correct my statement above, we do have RADIUS(NPS) implemented for a virtual access point but that's it.

• Options
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@djhurt1 does the bubble for NAT or Access Rules holds any hint?

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭

@bwc just says "Management NAT policy". We use local users on the sonicwall for management. I can't edit/remove the access rule or the NAT rule. I imagine I could go into the /diag page to allow me to delete these rules but as always I question if these are there for something I haven't considered.

• Options
    djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭

@BWC

just says "Management NAT policy". We use local users on the sonicwall for management. I can't edit/remove the access rule or the NAT rule. I imagine I could go into the /diag page to allow me to delete these rules but as always I question if these are there for something I haven't considered.

• Options
    djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
    edited December 2023

I've disabled the NAT rule and set the access rule to discard. However ports scans still show UDP Open|Filtered and TCP shows filtered. This happens regardless if the access rule is set to deny or discard.