Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Options

Secondary SYNC state - HA configuration

Hello all,

We had some internet issues last night which left my SonicWalls in a weird state. It's on the secondary firewall at the moment and reads "Secondary SYNC". I tried to sync the settings but it's giving me an error "Error contacting HA peer firewall". I can ping both monitoring IPs not problem though. I'm scared to reboot in case the primary doesn't takeover. Any idea how I can correct this?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@sdeyoung what is the exact information at /Device/High Availability/Status? It should look like this.

If "Found Peer" for example says "No", you need to check the state of your primary and the HA-Link.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
    sdeyoungsdeyoung Newbie ✭

How do I fix this? I know everything is hooked up properly as nobody would of changed anything. I wonder if power cycling the primary would fix it?

• Options

@sdeyoung did you logged into the Primary Appliance, because you said it's available through its monitoring address? Maybe the log shows something helpful and it would be good to know what the Primary believes the HA state is.

--Michael@BWC

• Options
  • Options

@sdeyoung the state as Standby looks good to me. Anything in the logs? Firmware is close to the latest -5111 or -5119?

Did you connected X0 and it's up as well?

If I were in your shows I'd probably reboot the primary unit, I only faced a similar situation when I (or the firmware) messed up the Firmware update and I had both machines running with different Firmware versions.

--Michael@BWC

• Options

X0 is my management LAN so it looks good. I was thinking of just rebooting it since the secondary is the one that's active. Shouldn't really cause issues. Do you think logging in to the management IP and rebooting it there would be fine?

Nothing in the logs that really tell me anything, just that it transitioned to standby.. Firmware does need to be updated. Been waiting for a good time. It's at SonicOS 7.0.1-5065-R2799

• Options

@sdeyoung if -5065 (I believe that was the same version I had trouble with updating) is on both machines, you should be good just rebooting the primary through the management UI.

--Michael@BWC

• Options

I do remember having issues updating other ones at different sites when I did them on this version as well.

• Options

Rebooted primary but nothing changed.

• Options

Is X7 directly connected between the two units or is there a switch involved? The link for X7 might be up, but it's not properly communicating (wrong VLANs, etc)

If nothing helps, you might need to get in touch with Support and first action will be a firmware update.

--Michael@BWC

• Options

Yes X7 is directly plugged. They've been running since I deployed them late last year.. Haven't had any issues since yesterday. Everything was functioning as it should up until then.

Not sure how I would do the firmware update now while the primary is not functioning.

• Options

You should check with support, maybe a manual update of the firmware on both units will work, but make sure with SNWL first.

--Michael@BWC

• Options

Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated!