Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SonicWave has No Scheduled Reboot - Big Problem

JHSDJHSD Newbie ✭

I only found one other discussion thread about this in the forum (link pasted below). The reply suggested a page that talks about a different model of Access Point and a secret /diag.html page to try to get to where a person would actually find a Scheduled Reboot setting. Why you would hide that essential function I don't know.. very bad idea.

The Sonic Wave does not work with that suggested link though. It simply reports "Forbidden" if you try to get to /diag.html.

Not having a scheduled reboot function is insane , absolutely insane. Anyone who works in tech knows you must reboot devices regularly to keep things running smoothly. It is not just Windows that sucks at maintaining stability, every OS/code has its flaw that a reboot very quickly cleans up the problems with when a device goes off the rails.

I am not supposed to be at work right now - but I had to go log in the the port and manually reboot a Sonic Wave 621 because after 12 days uptime, brand new unit, it had suddenly stopped allowing anyone to log in. It had no devices connected to it anymore, and was telling everyone their password was wrong. They were not wrong.

Once manually rebooted, everyone could connect.

If the device had a function to setup a reboot schedule, like every other product on the market has had for over 10 years, including crappy little ASUS brand units that we use to be using, this issue would largely vanish. A clean boot on a daily basis, setup for 5am or so, would ensure our Sonic Waves run flawlessly and eliminate getting a call at any possible day/hour to do it manually simply because the devices have not been rebooting themselves.

I have 9 of these things to manage so far. I am not happy that I am having to do this manual reboot, and if it continues, I will be sending the bill for my time to you Sonic Wall. Add the Scheduled Reboot to make this a sensible product.

PS - I have submitted this as an REF to Sales (as per a Tech Support Ticket suggestion) twice already.

Category: SonicWave

Answers

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Just put a scheduled reboot on your PoE switch. Problem solved!

• JHSDJHSD Newbie ✭

Great, except we do not have these on a POE switch.

Then I suggest you post a whiny thread in your switch vendor's forum about the absence of such a feature, then ;-)

But seriously, I had a customer with PoE-powered door access equipment who wanted daily reboots due to it being a bit flaky. The switch itself did not have this as a feature, but it was possible to use snmpset to write a 0 then a 1 to the POE OID of the relevant ports to power cycle the equipment.

• JHSDJHSD Newbie ✭

Arkwright, your attitude is unwelcome and you did not understand my reply. They are not connected to a POE switch. They are connected directly to a SonicWall Router, nothing between. A scheduled reboot function is built in to the most bare bones routers home consumers can buy for under $100. We paid over $2000 a piece for these things, and finding that basic function does not exist is outrageous.

Sorry, I misread your post as saying that your PoE switch does not have a scheduled reboot function, when in fact you meant that you don't have them on a PoE switch at all.

You probably need to raise this with Sonicwall support, it's unlikely that stopping working after less than two weeks is a config issue,

• JHSDJHSD Newbie ✭

This issue continues. I just had to reboot a device manually yet again, after it had only been up for 3 days run time since the prior reboot. Until I did the reboot, the device refused to let anyone connect. This is a big problem Sonic Wave. I have submitted tickets ,I have sent e-mails, I have submitted REFs. We do not have these connected to POE or remote power manager systems and we are not about to have to go spend money on additional equipment to deal with your equipment shortfalls. Sonic Wall you need to fix this. It is inappropriate to leave customers in this mess.

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@JHSD - unfortunately you are shouting into the wind here.

If you have opened up tickets with Support and sent emails to your sales manager with RFEs, then the only thing left to do is wait for SonicWall to provide a solution. Keep in mind that it will not be immediately available, especially when it comes to SonicWave devices. I participated in the Wireless Network Manager beta and pointed out that there was no setting for Daylight Savings Time. Just last month - two years later - that fix made it to production. YMMV.

• JHSDJHSD Newbie ✭

Two years for a critical time function? Is there development a team of 1, working part-time?

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@JHSD - I updated the original post you referred to. Scheduled reboot (weekly) of a SonicWave AP is now available in WNM.