Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

How install NSM

I have been fighting this for weeks. I cannot get NSM to run. Does anybody actually use this product ?

GSM is not functional, nor is NSM. Really looking for a solution.

Are there any effective instructions on how to run this system ?

Category: Network Security Manager

Answers

• jwardjward SonicWall Employee

If you are having issues getting NSM running, it may be best to open a support case. They should be able to get it up and working and answer some of your questions directly. You would need to specify what issue you are seeing when trying to get it deployed so as to pinpoint any problems you are having.

Maybe these instructions below could be beneficial if you are trying to install On-Prem NSM.

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/technical-documentation/docs/nsm-onprem_gsg/Content/Configuring-NSM/registering-nsm.htm/

• Sorry, no. All the documentation on Sonicwall is out of date or just plain incorrect.

I have downloaded multiple VM images in hypervisor and VMWare. all three machines come up blank. No interface, and sometime (Only sometimes) does the VM have text in it that states, "screen timeout"

That is it. No logs, no errors, no nothing. I continued with Sonicwall install, but I cannot connect to the machine.

I cannot do a "clean install" as SonicWall documentation does not guide you to anything useful.

help please, as I need web management.

thanks

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

This document, the Getting Started manual, was updated in November 2022. That's as current as it gets.

For additional support, you're going to have to call in.

• I have calls into support. They are no help.

Instead of being my snarky self, in the spirit of the season, I'll say this.

As @jward stated earlier, "You would need to specify what issue you are seeing when trying to get it deployed so as to pinpoint any problems you are having."

We can't guess why you are failing to get it to work.

• Same as I had stated earlier and many times.

Hypervisor image on system. Booted system. Nothing to be seen. Black window. No images, nothing. Then, after an hour, it might say, "Screen timeout" (Lower left). That is it. No indications it is running, no configuration page, nothing. I do see it grab an IP from the DHCP server. That is it. I know its IP address, and the ping will succeed, but nothing else.

I have no CLI, no web interface, no indications that it is even running except hypervisor (Says its been running for X time)

All the documentation on Sonicwall does not help with this situation at all.

I have used 2.3.4 hypervisor image, 2.2.2 hypervisor image, 2.3.4 VMWare image, even docker and oracle. Same results.

@SnarfySplat I downloaded the trial Hyper-V version to test on my lab Windows Server 2016 machine.

I took all the defaults and a few minutes after starting the VM got a blank, black screen.

Called up Support and got routed very quickly. The CSR asked me about the memory I allocated. I told him I used 4 GB. He said, no, it needs 24 GB, as specified in the Getting Started Guide. My lab system only has 16 GB so I can't create a VM with sufficient RAM to run this VM.

Here's the chart:

If you haven't allocated 24 GB of RAM to your VMWare sessions, I am going to guess what you've experienced is the same thing I did.

Here's hoping you have a system that can support it. And I hope that explanation helps.

• jwardjward SonicWall Employee

I will agree with what @Larry said. 24GB is the current minimum now when installing NSM as shown in the chart.