Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Configure 2 syslog servers

I'm trying to configure a second extra syslog server, we already had one configured and running correctly.

When I configure the new syslog, I don't see packet traffic in packet monitor, what are the steps to have 2 syslog?

New syslog port 513

Category: Firewall Management and Analytics

Answers

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

@gussr16

The second server syslog server port should be 514.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@gussr16 I checked on my NSa running 6.5.4.10 and added a second syslog server and both servers got the syslog packets.

If you can't see the traffic in the Packet-Monitor, you did not have the "Exclude Syslog Traffic to:" checked by accident? IMHO it's the default.

Did you checked with tcpdump on your Wazuh if any syslog packets arrive from your SNWL?

@Ajishlal Port 513 is probably correct, if configured that way, like mentioned in the Wazuh docs.

--Michael@BWC

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

@BWC

I heard that sonicwall only accept 514 UDP port for the syslog service.

@Ajishlal this must be in another context, using Port 513 for Syslog on the NSa works fine.

--Michael@BWC

• gussr16gussr16 Newbie ✭

Hello, configure again on port 514

But I don't see any packet traffic either.

edited July 2022

@gussr16 I checked and can see the Syslog packets. Do you have by any chance set a Display Filter or did not clicked all Checks on the Display Filter page?

I guess you're on 6.5.4.10 as well?

--Michael@BWC

@BWC

Yes , If it's correct I'm on SonicOS Enhanced 6.5.4.10-95n

I have configured to see all the filters, it strikes me that it does not show any traffic.

@gussr16 then I need to throw the Towel, I tried different IP addresses to send the syslog data to, to make sure it's not Zone or Interface related, but I always saw the packets in the Monitor.

If you made sure that on the "Settings" Tab of the Packet Monitor Syslog is not excluded I cannot think of anything else at the moment.

--Michael@BWC

@BWC

I did the test with many IPs and the same if I have traffic, but not with a specific IP, I tried to create a new object, but I have no result. Something to have in mind?

@gussr16 the one and only thing, as mentioned before, is this one, but I guess you checked this already.

Maybe you need to open a Ticket for that.

--Michael@BWC