Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Any Upgrade Issues with 12.4.2 ?

We're running an SMA 6210 and looking to upgrade to 12.4.2 soon to take advantage of the device-based VPN features that we've been missing.

Has anyone already upgraded their instance and run into issues, or has it been smooth?

Thanks!

Category: Secure Mobile Access Appliances

Answers

• iamabrokenmaniamabrokenman Enthusiast ✭✭
    Likely will depend from which release you are upgrading from.
  • SmashSmash Newbie ✭
    It's a fairly new installation for us so we're on 12.4.1
  • iamabrokenmaniamabrokenman Enthusiast ✭✭
    Unless there is something in 12.4.2 that you really need or want, no reason to upgrade. 12.4.1 is GR.and not a FR.
  • SmashSmash Newbie ✭

Well, there are several features that I was waiting for, like device VPN, that were made available on 12.4.2 , which is why I was asking the "community" about stability.

Is there a more active Sonicwall community to get feedback on their products or is this really it? It's a bit lack luster.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Smash I don't wanna be that wise guy, but did you talked about your Update plans with your supporting SonicWall Partner?

I don't have much SMA 1000 series in the field anymore, but from the past I can say Updates are usually going very smoothly, but none of them are updated to 12.4.2 at the moment. Because it's mainly the "Connect Tuneel" you're interested in, you have to make sure that they can be properly updated on the Clients, sometimes the Update failed for me. SEM Update might be another thing to consider, maybe you've experience on that from former Updates.

Besides the new Features, the addressed CVEs might be worth a look and a reason to update, didn't checked their severity. On a quick check of the Release Notes I couldn't see anything that might cause trouble besides that.

If you cannot assess the impact by yourself I wouldn't rely on a Community forum, despite the fact that are very capable people around. We're talking Enterprise Grade here.

Just my € .02, probably not helpful but maybe gets you thinking.

--Michael@BWC

• SmashSmash Newbie ✭

Hey BWC, thanks for the response. The partner I purchased through doesn't do much support after the sales process, unfortunately. I come from the MSP space and would usually check community feedback before most upgrades either way. I come from early Sophos XG days so my desire to YOLO any firmware update was killed off a long time ago.

I would think community feedback on potential upgrades would be a real benefit no matter the size of the environment, but seeing the response on here my sentiments may not be shared. Release notes, although I read them, don't always indicate upgrade issues experienced in the real world and goes into my assessment of impact. Appreciate your thoughts.

• NatNat Newbie

Upgraded to 12.4.2 for testing, the new features are great.

But I am not sure about the stability as I am not heavily use it.