Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

ISP Modem with static Address

Hi,

Our Internet service provider modem has a static IP address. That device is installed in a mobile vehicle.

for the moment, the TZ370 WAN interface X1 is configurated with the static IP address of the modem which is configurated in passthrough mode.

An issue occurs if we need to change the modem in the field with a different IP address. All the mobile system stops responding because the X1 interface can not automatically change its IP address for the new one.

The ISP wants its modem to be configurated in passthrough mode.

Is there a way to configurate the X1 interface in a way that it will take automatically the static IP address of the modem without having to log into the TZ locally and change it manually?

Thanks

Category: Network Security Manager

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Ben I believe the Modem is not able to act as a DHCP server and assign this static ip to the X1 interface? I'am not aware of any other method to assign a IP address to the SNWL interface.

--Michael@BWC

• BenBen Newbie ✭

@BWC:

That is also my understanding.

Thanks!

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

@Ben,

Try to make the ISP modem as bridge mode and do the sonicwall WAN interface configuration appropriately.

• SanthoshSanthosh SonicWall Employee

@Ben try to make sonicwall X1 ip as the DMZ ip on the ISP modem and assign the static ip assigned as DMZ on X1 of firewall(private ip) , and make the WAN ip on the modem to DHCP with authentication , I'm sure this can be done by the ISP as I have similar setup at home.

• syanezsyanez SonicWall Employee

Hello,

What is the modem model?

Kind regards,
    Sebastián Yáñez
    Solutions Engineer, EMEA Team