Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Printing over VPN to a Printer connected to a WLAN at home

Hello friends.

Those who do Home Office necessarily use VPN. The company uses SMA400 Appliance and Netextender Client for Windows.

We want to print over VPN to the Printer connected to the WLAN at home, and I could not solve this problem until now.

Thank you in advance to those who will help me.

Umut

Category: Secure Mobile Access Appliances

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    umutumut Newbie ✭
    Answer ✓

thanks for all replies.

I solved it like this.:

Clients > Routes "Tunel All Mode"Disabled, then the Local Printer works.

Thanks

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@umut IMHO this will not be possible, because the IP address assigned to the printer is not known to the SMA and not part of the NetExtender Tunnel and therefore not routed.

I suggest to use a VPN Tunnel for this kind of scenario instead of a simple Remote Access.

--Michael@BWC

• umutumut Newbie ✭

Thank you very much for the quick reply. You suggest us to use VPN Tunnel. Our employees work from different places and through different AccessPoints. What kind of VPN Tunnel should I use?

To best of my knowledge this can be only done via a Site-to-Site VPN Tunnel which requires some form of VPN gateway on the remote side. I'am not aware of any VPN client software which can provide this kind of functionality.

I guess this is the only option if you really need to initiate the print connection from your company to the home office.

--Michael@BWC

• umutumut Newbie ✭

Thank you for your answers.

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

The only other option is using printer redirection over RDP. But if your company does not have you RDP-ing into something than this is moot.

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Could you give much more details about vpn toplogy?

you can use sametime vpn and printer on the active vpn tunnel.

• umutumut Newbie ✭

Dear LITBOBON

I assume you are joking.

Otherwise just consider this:

70 people work in a research center and everyone has the right to do 50% home office. In this case, my colleagues work from home half the week. Since not everyone lives in the same house, each printer is connected to its own WLAN. For this, the Home Officer employees with IP-connected printers do not have to travel!

@umut great that you solved it, but I guess you misled us by this:

We want to print over VPN to the Printer connected to the WLAN at home, and I could not solve this problem until now.

I (as a non native english speaker) assumed that you needed to print from the company to the remote attached printer via VPN. But this isn't the case, am I right?

Your initial question should have been something like this:

A local attached network printer is not reachable when connected via NetExtender. How can I print to a local printer when connected via SSL VPN.

This would have pointed us into the right direction, asking for the Routing Table and things like "Tunnel All Mode".

But at the end, problem solved, all good :)

--Michael@BWC

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

You do have to consider the impact Tunnel-All mode makes on the traffic traversing the SSLVPN tunnel...